Meteorites - Texas

Traviscounty

I'm leaving on a fossil/rock hunting tour of Texas tomorrow. A friend told me that meteorites can be found in Dimebox. I really don't know if there is a spot I can search. I don't want to go trespassing. Any help would be appreciated.

No Meteorites that I know of from Dimebox area. Dimebox is listed as having Tektites, but most of the land owners there don't want you on their land. There is a state park near there that the park ranger used to know about them, but that's been 25 year ago, so I don't know if he is still around. The State Park name is Nails Creek. I went there 25 years ago and found nothing. Maybe you will be lucky.

Most Texas meteorites come from the panhandle area above Midland. They have found many different ones found all over the panhandle area.

Tankman

Tankman

Guest bmorefossil
I'm leaving on a fossil/rock hunting tour of Texas tomorrow. A friend told me that meteorites can be found in Dimebox. I really don't know if there is a spot I can search. I don't want to go trespassing. Any help would be appreciated.

well there might have been a meteorite that hit there and then melted rocks and made them look really cool but the chances of finding a meteorite is slim i would have to say

tektites, not meteorites, have been found in that area, but they are small, and your odds of finding one would not be good if you just stop by for a while and look around. there is no rhyme or reason to where they would be found so there is no way to optimize your search by focusing on a specific location.

OK, I talked to a lady at Nails Creek. She said the man I want to talk to will be back in a couple of hours. They are Tektites, but I want one! It's on way to E.Texas, so if he tells me anything hopeful, I will stop there.

I wonder how many times I've traveled the El Camino Real? Probably more than any Spaniard! :)

Bediatite. The first one was found in Bedias, TX The field covers a 9 county area. Apparently there are 2 main tektite fields from the Chesapeake Bay Meteor? The other is in Georgia.

My friend said he found several nice tektites in the creekbeds near and around Lake Sommerville. I will make a couple of searches besides my fossil stop at the Brazos River.

Where abouts are you going in east Texas? Just county is fine, just trying to get my head around the area you are, form where I am.

mommabetts - you're in fannin county. for reference purposes, you're practically an okie, and all of east texas is way the heck below you, because northeast texas is just north texas with maybe one or two different flavors to the barbeque sauce...

Well if you must know yes, I live in north Texas but I am from east Texas, Upshur county and know the area pretty good. But if you want to get technical about it fannin county is considered north east Texas so I guess that qualifies too. I was just trying to figure out where he was at or was going to be at. But thanks for letting me know where I was because sometimes I do loose my a** and need help finding it again. Now did you get all of that?

um, no, i'm confused now. could you repeat it, only slower?

p.s. - where you been lately?

My daughter totaled her car and got banged up last week and then it just went down hill from there!!!!!!!!!

well, heck fire maynard dang it! sorry to hear that you've been having less-than-pleasant challenges coming at you. i'm glad you're back, because when you're not here and auspex isn't here (where is he?) it seems harder to be less lopsided than i naturally trend. kinda like buffered aspirin or sompin. there was a point in there, somewhere, oh! bediasites. um, yeah, those are not found in east texas. and north texas isn't found in east texas either. east texas is full of piney woods and bears and such and people who wear feed store caps and stare at the sun too much. hey, speakin' of feed store caps, i got a camopillaged one that i picked up at the store in boswell, oklahoma. do you know where boswell is, and can you tell me why it's there, 'cuz when i went through there, i darn sure wondered...

Boy it is nice to be back for my fix of a tracer theory-isms. Yes I know where Boswell is but I would have to agree, I don't know it's purpose either, nothing there to speak of, but hay there is alot of places like that every where.

Hey mommabets sorry about your bad week. I was wondering where you had gone to? Hope your daughter is doing all right. Travis county is supposed to be in our area this weekend I think. Told him if he wanted to go to the Sulphur Id go to. I need to go find my walking stick I left down there. When everything gets settled down for you let me know, we need to get together and go hunting.

Where is Auspex? I noticed his absence as well. Just not the same when he's gone.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hey mommabets sorry about your bad week. I was wondering where you had gone to? Hope your daughter is doing all right. Travis county is supposed to be in our area this weekend I think. Told him if he wanted to go to the Sulphur Id go to. I need to go find my walking stick I left down there. When everything gets settled down for you let me know, we need to get together and go hunting.

Where is Auspex? I noticed his absence as well. Just not the same when he's gone.

Welcome to the forum nice mettiors

I looked in and around the area, but all I found was some pieces of petrified wood. I stopped in a rock shop in Old Carrolton, and saw what I should be looking for. I will try again with my friend who has found them out there.

Barefoot girl took me to the NSR and it was great! She is a trooper, and really cool. My legs were sore the next day. Lots of mud, but lots of fossils. I will definitely go back this spring.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a relative's farm on the Brazos near Dennis, TX. She said there is an Indian hunting ground on her property, but I will be looking for fossils too.

As far as where East Texas is, I think it depends on who you talk to. I'm from Nacogdoches, and I know that's East Texas! :)

• 3 months later...

well there might have been a meteorite that hit there and then melted rocks and made them look really cool but the chances of finding a meteorite is slim i would have to say

For the Record: unless it is an asteroid which hits-- retaining substantial cosmic energy, space rocks aka "meteorites" don't melt rocks they hit. In fact when they land they frequently develop a frost rind given there pre-entry internal temp is -80 or below.

It has been said that one doesn't "hunt" for bedasites/tektites-- they find them while looking for other things. So be on the look out for small dark glassy dirty globs of glass and avoid rabbit pellets as you look for fossils.

Eman