I Have A Question About Amber?

Lawdinfamous

Hey guys I am a complete amateur but I was wondering if there is amber to be found in northeast Mississippi. I have a piece of something that resembles amber that my girlfriend found in Chewapa Creek today. Its smaller than a penny very cylindrical and it is very translucent when you shine a light on it.

There are several "tests" that identify amber. They can distinguish it from the confusing mimics. The first I would try is to determine its relative weight, This is easy, amber will float in salt water. Trying this will rule out a translucent mineral. Rub it on a wool item. Does it develop a static charge (e,g, attract small bits of tissue)? Amber will. Next, apply a small drop of acetone (fingernail polish remover, check the ingredients). Let it evaporate and press a piece of tissue on the spot. Amber is impervious, modern resins will be sticky. If nothing happens it may be amber. To see if it's a synthetic (plastic) touch it with a red hot needle. Obviously, this will mar the piece, so your choice. Plastic will smell like burning plastic. Amber will emit a sweet, pine smell. Good luck. Have fun.

I was not familiar with amber deposits in Mississippi. A cursory search revealed a record of Cretaceous amber found in Tishomingo Co. Don't know if that's near you or not.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you sir. That was very helpful! I am about to use the information you gave me to make some determinations now!

Ok. I heated the piece up and it split down the middle. It didn't burn or make any kind of smell. This is what the split pieces looks like.

That looks very similar to a section of a belemnite split down the middle. Note the phragmocone space at the bottom of the picture.

Best regards,

Edited by Kosmoceras
  • I found this Informative 1

That looks very similar to a section of a belemnite split down the middle. Note the phragmocone space at the bottom of the picture.

Best regards,

Yep.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys! I did a Google image search and wow thats exactly what i have! Awesome, you guys are incredibly smart and helpful to a person who has an interest but no formal knowledge in the field. Thank you again.

Lawdinfamous, Hey brother, i'm minutes on the other side of the state line in Tennessee. I've found the state record sized specimen of Amber for good'ol Tennessee and also phragmocones....if ya'll would like to hook-up and bang-out some clay, give me a holler. :) & to answer your question sir, heck yea, you can find Amber in NE mississippi!!! There has been huge specimens found there in the distant past....100yr ago, ect. Alittle studying on 'the subject will confirm what i'm saying! Welcome to the Forum from Tennessee neighbour. :)

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Also, if your specimen split in two when heated, no way in the world it could be Amber.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com