Need Suggestions For A Dallas Field Trip.

RyanNREMTP

My sister is wanting to do some fossil hunting come May 24th in Dallas. I know the Dallas area pretty well but not when it comes to fossils.

Anyone know of a good spot that they don't mind sharing?

I am new to this and know no sites within Dallas and if folks do, they probably aren't sharing. The North Sulphur River just a short drive can be a great place with plenty of room to play and in the right places, there is a guarantee of finding fossils that are plentiful there and do not get picked up.

I typically shy away from responding to posts like this. Being one of the "older guys" I remember when I had to put a lot of research into an area in order to be able to get to nice fossil-bearing sites. Please understand I am not getting onto you. It is just the way of things in today's electronic society. I think the connectedness of things today really takes a lot away from the experience and sense of fulfillment one gets when being able to realize the benefits of his/her own research and work. When you have found your own sites through research and then found great fossils at that site it is an amazing feeling.

Now, having said that, everyone's definition of "good site" is different. What type of site are you looking for? What type of material are you hoping to find? Depending on your desires I may be able to help you.

Mainly looking for a public place that has a few things. My sister is mostly into photography so she probably won't do any hunting. I'm thinking I might just her drive to Mineral Wells since I had such a great time there before.

Most places I go to there is something special I'm looking for like a trilobite at Mineral Wells or a echinoderm here in Waco but this is just to get out with family.

nsr at any bridge between hwy 68 and hwy 24/19, post oak creek at any bridge near sherman, lake texoma west of denison dam, texas side, borrow pit at lost creek reservoir spillway, jacksboro. no secrets as these are "standard" texas sites.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."