My Potomac Shark Tooth Find

RJB

My new buddy obsessed1 took my wife and I to the banks of the Potomac where I found this beauty! I cant remember the name of this tooth. Kevin spit out sooooo many names of sharks there was no way I was going to remember the name of this one. Here is a pic of Kevin and myself and the tooth. This is one tooth that will always be in my collection.

RB

post-171-0-04948700-1400514758_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-15611700-1400514777_thumb.jpg

Sweet find and glad you got to go out with Kevin. He is a wealth of info to be certain. Looks like a beauty of a carcharocles chubutensis (precursor to megalodon). Very nice find. Congrats!

Watch out! That first meg could turn into an obsession - always just one more! Congratulations on a very nice find. Enjoy.

Great color and condition, Congrats! :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

It looks like a chubutensis, Which is a precursor to the megaladon. What a beauty!!!

Beautiful tooth. Congrats on your first mega tooth!!!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Congratulations. Beautiful tooth! Kevin told me those are pretty rare. Congratulations on a great find. Just keep in mind though- there are plenty of other rare things you didn't find. Reason a plenty to come back.

Has anyone else noticed that whenever someone hunts with Kevin amazing things get found? Everytime I have hunted with him someone finds a skull or megalodon. :zzzzscratchchin:

Can someone explain what are some defining characteristics of a Chub compared to a Meg, so i know what to look for next time?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Can someone explain what are some defining characteristics of a Chub compared to a Meg, so i know what to look for next time?

Basically it is the side cusps which are very clear on RJB's tooth. No other real distinguishing characteristics other than size (Chubs tend to top out around 4-5" and megs 7"+) but no cusps = no chub. Since Chubutensis teeth are precursors to megs you tend to find them at the northern end of the Calvert Cliffs but they pretty much disappear as the exposure gets younger the further south you go. In this case Kevin and RJB were at the more northern end of the Miocene formation.

Also, to confuse things further some folks argue that juvenile Megalodon teeth can sometimes have cusps as well but as the shark aged to adult size it loses the cusps. I'm not certain I subscribe to this though as I have found plenty of what appear to be "juvenile" Megalodon teeth without cusps. I tend to think it is more of an period/age thing. The older into the Miocene the Meg tooth the more apt it is to have some appearance of cusps until you hit the Chub/Meg cutoff where they all have cusps.

Hope that helps. Bottom line... cusps = Chub or close to it in lineage. No cusps = no Chubutensis.

Edited by hokiehunter

Thanks everybody. I would love to come out east again, but that's gunna be awhile. I have to recover financialy first.

RB

Basically it is the side cusps which are very clear on RJB's tooth. No other real distinguishing characteristics other than size (Chubs tend to top out around 4-5" and megs 7"+) but no cusps = no chub. Since Chubutensis teeth are precursors to megs you tend to find them at the northern end of the Calvert Cliffs but they pretty much disappear as the exposure gets younger the further south you go. In this case Kevin and RJB were at the more northern end of the Miocene formation.

Also, to confuse things further some folks argue that juvenile Megalodon teeth can sometimes have cusps as well but as the shark aged to adult size it loses the cusps. I'm not certain I subscribe to this though as I have found plenty of what appear to be "juvenile" Megalodon teeth without cusps. I tend to think it is more of an period/age thing. The older into the Miocene the Meg tooth the more apt it is to have some appearance of cusps until you hit the Chub/Meg cutoff where they all have cusps.

Hope that helps. Bottom line... cusps = Chub or close to it in lineage. No cusps = no Chubutensis.

Thank you sir

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

...some folks argue that juvenile Megalodon teeth can sometimes have cusps as well but as the shark aged to adult size it loses the cusps....

I believe this is a case of predisplacement heterochrony; the genetic memory is long in sharks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe this is a case of predisplacement heterochrony; the genetic memory is long in sharks.

:wacko: Auspex, Auspex!!! I had to check the dictionary and read for a looong time to figure out what predisplacement heterochrony meant. THANKS

For RJB some cusps from teeth that are not chubs but megalodon.

post-2220-0-48324100-1401234043_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-93142800-1401234059_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"