Joshua Creek Tooth - Florida

Scramblered

I found this in Joshua Creek this past weekend. I first thought it was a dolphin tooth but jcbshark thought otherwise. After comparing it to my other dolphin teeth I agree that it might be something else. Any thoughts?

post-6050-0-99906200-1400550796_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-11573800-1400550819_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-52069300-1400550840_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-16803800-1400550853_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-27210200-1400550858_thumb.jpg

That is from a mammal carnivore. It's not the canine tooth either, its most likely a premolar from a coyote. Let me reference a few skulls.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I would lean towards an incisor.

Edited by calhounensis

I know exactly which mammal this tooth came from --- because Bobby Bossee identified it. This is a rare tooth for SS Florida.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/38941-i-want-to-id-as-porpoise-but/?hl=harbor#entry427716

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you Jack, that linked thread is very informative. I am going to post another tooth that looks similar but is bigger and I thought it was dolphin. I will need to take pictures of it first.

I'm thinking pinniped - it isn't spatulate like a porpoise, but rather has a marked basal cingulum and a pointed cusp above that.

Let's see what Bobby has to say!

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Here are the other teeth that I thought were dolphin. I included the unknown one as well for scale and comparison. Two of them have worn tips while that one has a very pointed end. The roots look different than the unknown tooth. Are all of these other teeth dolphin?

post-6050-0-28217700-1400589251_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-44311600-1400589257_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-89167300-1400589261_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-27192200-1400589268_thumb.jpg

This is inseparable from the first (upper or lower) premolar of numerous pinnipeds and terrestrial carnivores. Given the well developed carinae/cristae on the tooth crown, I'd lean towards terrestrial carnivore. It's likely not cetacean because of the retention of a strong lingual cingulum (generally absent or reduced in most Cetacea) and a small hypoconid cusp on the posterior heel of the crown.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, Bobby. Just on the basis of a "feeling" I lean toward pinniped, but with no solid evidence. It would have to be labeled "Carnivora, indet."

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I referenced my skull collection and couldn't find a match of premolars with this size. Even black bear didn't match. So i would say Pinniped or even Wolf.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG