Mazon Id

JoeySRT8

Thought it might be i havent matched it in my esconi book yet.

Yes i found it myself, i went once this year and got a full bucket. I want to go back again soon, the last location produced well. Lot of shrimps worms and ferns i also got a few acorn worms and a roach.

Looks awesome! I'm still freeze/ thawing a couple. But we found 2 fossils though. They are small nodules!

Looks awesome! I'm still freeze/ thawing a couple. But we found 2 fossils though. They are small nodules!

Thanks, how often you thaw them? I try to everyday.

I am only on my second round of Freeze/Thaw. However, some can take up to 20 times! I am pretty hopeful for at least one more fossil! I found a couple more today after thawing. There were a lot that broke open with nothing in them.

However I believe I found a small shell! The awesome part is, at the top of the shell is a small oval, and it appeared to be shimmery, so I whipped out my hand lens and inspected it. Didn't appear to be a type of mica because it wasn't shiny. It was more of a subtle shimmer. Upon inspection, I believe it to be Pyrite. Which makes sense because pyrite's environment includes sedimentary locations. The Nodules are definitely sedimentary Hematite (mineral form of Iron (Fe203) Ironstones. Since Pyrite's chemical composition is about half iron (FeS2) Where the Molecular weight = 119.98 gm; with Iron as 46.55%; and sulfur 53.45% S. With that said, Pyrite is most likely the small deposit on the shell.

• I found this Informative 2

I can't upload both pics at the same time. But here's a pic of the pyrite. I took the pic through my hand lens!

post-15375-0-98747900-1400908225_thumb.jpg

The shell. Probably can't see the pyrite spot as I wasn't in direct light. But it's at the top of the shell.

post-15375-0-78628900-1400908607_thumb.jpg

Here's a better one with more sunlight.

i can see an imprint, i can really tell what it is. Have you seen the Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna book by Jack Wittry? Great referance guide!You can get it online or thru ESCONI.

No I haven't I need to get a Mazonia fossil guide though!!! I've only been to the ESCONI website once so far. But i'll definately get back on there and check everything out. Do you go to the events they post?

Yes, you definitely found a shrimp. From what I can see, it is most likely a molted exoskeleton from either Belotelson or Lobetelson.

I do not see a fossil in your concretion. Bivalves will usually be fairly well preserved.

Good luck collecting.

No I haven't I need to get a Mazonia fossil guide though!!! I've only been to the ESCONI website once so far. But i'll definately get back on there and check everything out. Do you go to the events they post?

we go to the meetings sometime, we missed the last few and the last few field trips. We do go to the fossil shows and most of the events tho. Been members for the last 3 years.

Yes, you definitely found a shrimp. From what I can see, it is most likely a molted exoskeleton from either Belotelson or Lobetelson.

Thanks RC

we go to the meetings sometime, we missed the last few and the last few field trips. We do go to the fossil shows and most of the events tho. Been members for the last 3 years.

Sounds like it would be fun! We haven't been any meetings or anything. I just heard of this ESCONI a week or so ago. So I haven't really looked into it. I go to Illinois State University (Biology and Geology double major) everything I do, is through the Geo department! However, in the halls, there was a showcase and a poster of information about Mazonia and some fossil ddisplays. So I looked it up, and we went! Which is kinda sad, because I didn't know about Mazonia fossils until recently and I literally live 15 miles from Mazonia ever since I was a kid I've lived here (Dwight). Nobody else I know knew about it. I'm friends with an old science teacher from grade school, on fb and we were talking about it and he didn't know about it either. Weird that it's a worldwide known area, but a lot of people that live really close to it. Know nothing about it (the fossils that is, we've all known about the Mazonia area and location)! We are definitely going to go back soon! Especially since I'm out of school for the summer.