• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

19 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Bird, cloud, sky and moon:

I see 2 birds, one black and one white. 

• Enjoyed 1

24 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I see 2 birds, one black and one white. 

Yeah. That white bird is what first caught my eye.

Context is critical.

38 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Yeah. That white bird is what first caught my eye.

Now where have I seen that white bird before?.....

41ZePP1+wqL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just kidding, I don't do social media. (This is as social as I get.) :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 4

2 hours ago, digit said:

redirect errant sea turtle hatchlings

Thanks Ken, the ocean was beautiful and the beach sparsely populated. I know those wee turtles appreciated the boost. However, it would seem your good works continue; as you assist the two legged critters at the museum (and even some of that ilk here on the Forum). Thanks.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 hours ago, digit said:

Now where have I seen that white bird before?.....

41ZePP1+wqL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpgJust kidding, I don't do social media. (This is as social as I get.) :P

Cheers.

-Ken

And it was soon replaced with this:

IMG_0915.thumb.jpeg.092e39439ce197d3ba86c06740ec31d6.jpeg

:)

• Enjoyed 2

Context is critical.

Ex Tweeter ? :default_clap2:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

10 hours ago, snolly50 said:

However, it would seem your good works continue; as you assist the two legged critters at the museum (and even some of that ilk here on the Forum). Thanks.

I'm pretty good with the ones with an octet of legs as well. :P Tammy and I made a roadtrip to the panhandle (Pensacola area) to try to see some of the White-topped Pitcher Plants (Sarracenia leucophylla) in bloom. Sadly, most of the parks that were supposed to be packed with thousands of them were overrun with vegetation. The Splinter Hill Bog Preserve just over the border into Alabama is taking steps to clear the underbrush using prescribed burns. Unfortunately for us, they seemed to have done this just a few days before our arrival. Nothing was left of the largest single population of S. leucophylla but a few charred pitchers and flowers. We shall have to return at a later date to be able to see for ourselves the wondrous profusion that I've seen in online images.

IMG_4520.jpg    IMG_4525.jpg

We fared a little better the next morning at the Yellow River Marsh Preserve State Park. The loop around the lake at this park and the trail through the nearby Garcon Point Water Management Area were sadly choked with undergrowth and the population of pitchers was missing. These locations seem like they could use a good prescribed burn to restore the bog habitat for the pitchers. Ironically, the best population of pitchers (and upright sundews, Drosera filiformis f. tracyi ) were to be found in a swale area alongside the road leading into the park. Tiny yellow (3 mm) long flowers of the carnivorous Zigzag Bladderwort, Utricularia subulata, could be seen if you looked closely and had the right search image.

IMG_4684.jpg    IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg    IMG_4644.jpg

A sign in the park mentioned that Yellow Crab Spiders, Misumena vatia, might be found hiding camouflaged among yellow blooms. We searched a couple hundred yellow flowers only to spot its kin--what seems to be the Green Crab Spider, Misumessus oblongus. At just a few millimeters long and with the flowers blowing in the breeze I fired off around 20 attempted images only to find that the first one was the only one in focus. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

IMG_4660.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

8 hours ago, Missourian said:

And it was soon replaced with this:

IMG_0915.thumb.jpeg.092e39439ce197d3ba86c06740ec31d6.jpeg

:default_rofl:

15 hours ago, digit said:

Just kidding, I don't do social media. (This is as social as I get.) :P

Good for you!  This is the closest thing to social media I am on as well :)

• I Agree 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

They’ve started to emerge. Thirteen years ago Brood XlX periodical cicadas emerge and I was disappointed. I found 2 adults in my yard and the empty shells of 6 others. I had to travel a few miles to experience the mass gatherings. Now 13 years later, I started finding finger sized holes all over my back yard. It took a few days to realize they are the holes from the periodical cicadas. I’ve seen 50 to 100 holes so far. 

20240414_161937.thumb.jpeg.9124c3462a7bc12ce8201aa5c6cfd675.jpeg

They stay in the holes until the temperature is right for them to emerge and transform into an adult. A few minutes ago I found my first adult. Hopefully they will stick around the neighborhood this time.

20240418_111454.thumb.jpeg.1767fba21ffa5d7f23818aa523de2b5c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 4

A Common Gallinule, Gallinula galeata, navigates the waters of a SC swamp...

DSC_1179ac.thumb.jpg.463887be44b027f26f019d713a3a5f50.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

A House Finch, Haemorhous mexicanus, occupies a tree at the margin of a SC salt marsh...

DSC_1160a.thumb.jpg.8bbcb63fc5a4ef08fb431a8df8472a4c.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

6 hours ago, snolly50 said:

A Common Gallinule, Gallinula galeata, navigates the waters of a SC swamp...

But it will always be Burma (Moorhen) to me. :P

(Sly cultural reference there for those to puzzle out.)

Cheers.

-Ken

13 hours ago, digit said:

cultural reference

Since snolly is clueless; it supports the assertion that he is uncultured.

Tricolor Heron in breeding plumage...

DSC_1208az.thumb.jpg.6dce4f4cf49bcb9a81bba2e627763e77.jpg

• Enjoyed 11

Portrait of a Tricolored Heron, Egretta tricolor...

DSC_1207port.thumb.jpg.be047527bba85b5cd66a1606a3738dfb.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

20 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Since snolly is clueless; it supports the assertion that he is uncultured.

It is a reference to a line in a Seinfield episode.

I too am uncultured (though I know the cultural reference) as I was never got into the show. Perhaps, we are cultured--but in a different Petri dish than the rest of society? :P

An old girlfriend in college knew a guy who was a stand-up comic. I remember we went to see his set when he opened for Seinfeld in a smaller club in Chicago. We left the club just as Seinfeld came on to go out to dinner with our friend. Priorities. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

20 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Tricolor Heron in breeding plumage...

DSC_1208az.thumb.jpg.6dce4f4cf49bcb9a81bba2e627763e77.jpg

These are lovely images, as per usual, Sir Snolly!

Thanks for sharing your artistry with us!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, digit said:

cultured--but in a different Petri dish than the rest of society?

Ken, Indeed, when I consider some aspects of the culture by which I am surrounded; I feel. if not alien, at least alienated. :shakehead:

• I found this Informative 2

Anhinga anhinga, a male attempts to look his best in case a lady Anhinga swims by...

DSC_1241ac.thumb.jpg.7aa2c34c10da7aad84db9f931c50591e.jpg

DSC_1237ac.thumb.jpg.a8979e80294a33d5c8c5bb7ecda17d19.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Why did my mind go instantly to this old Far Side comic?

:default_rofl:

Cheers.

-Ken

card00133_fr.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I love them !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

So many exquisite flowers on such a small cactus!