Help With Teaching Garden Names Please

Bev

I am trying to figure out some cute names for the garden areas where I have collected my fossils. I'm setting them up as teaching gardens. Like...

Gastropod Trail (its along the driveway)?

Corals Corral?

Fisherites (I can't pronounce Receptaculitids correctly)... it's more of a place

Trilobite... it's more of a place

Crinoid... it's more of a place

Bryozoan... it's more of a place

Cephalopod Way?

Trace fossils... Or maybe just put the appropriate trace fossils at the end or to the side of the site.

Pseudo fossils (like dendrite, etc.)

And I have a dinosaur garden to sort of simulate how the bones are found (buried usually).

Then I have a sandbox set up for the kids to dig their own fossils and minerals. I would call it "Fossil Dig" but I have found that many children are more interested in the minerals than the fossis (quartz mainly).

Yes, I have consulted the thesaurus, but nothing is grabbing me.

Thoughts? Ideas?

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

If you're trying for cute names, how about Snail Trail (instead of gastropod--the kids will know what snails are without need of explanation!) and the Box of Rocks (for the sandbox)?

For crinoids: Sea Lily Bed?

Cephalopod Lair?

Trace fossils: Tracks Way?

Just a few thoughts. It sounds like a fun project! Do you plan to post pictures?

Great ideas! You gals and guys are so creative!

I am thinking about small plywood signs, with images, that I could stencil. Silicone in a piece of rebar and then I could just push them into the ground. I think it would be a fun project that would entertain the adults as well as the kids.

I forgot brachiopods, but they are so small around here, but important. :)

Hash plates too.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

So, here are my mockups of the signage so far. I wanted to print to see if I was running out of ink as it is a 70 mile round trip to get ink, so I make it a multiples trip if possible.

post-9628-0-00161400-1402072180_thumb.jpg

That is supposed to be Brachiopod Bay...

post-9628-0-81725500-1402072209_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-81255000-1402072219_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-19815900-1402072234_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-35664100-1402072247_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-77290500-1402072261_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-93923000-1402072274_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-21291200-1402072295_thumb.jpg

So, does this help you with more or better ideas???

Any suggestions appreciated.

Then when the signage is done I will pull together the gardens and take pictures of those. :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Hi Bev,

For your consideration:

Trilo-site

Sea lilies of the Field

Cephalo-plot,

Octopus Garden (not just a Beatles' song but a term for the area just outside an octopus' preferred hiding place where it places objects it has picked up along the seafloor as if decorating its front yard)

Cephalo-soil (a play on words of the biological term, "cephalofoil," used for the head of a hammerhead shark)

Dinosaur Boneyard,

The Bonebed or Dino-Bonebed

Bonescape or Dino-bone-scape

Trace-space, Dendrite-site

Coral sea, coral seascape, coral seabed

Bryo-zoo

Bay of Pigs (if you have some fossil peccary or wild pig bones); there's an actual fossil site in Florida called "Hog Heaven" for its abundance of peccaries

You can call the whole yard your "extinction event center" or "The Land that Primordial Slime Forgot."

Let me know if I should apologize for any of those.

Jess

P.S. In the late 80's a friend, now deceased, had two mineral/fossil dealer businesses. He called one, "Dead and Buried" (for retail shows) and the other, "Continental Drifter" (for when he sold wholesale at Tucson). I told him he could have called one of them the "Primordial Soup Kitchen." He thought that was funny but he burst out laughing when I referred to poachers on Fossil Butte National Monument land (southeastern Wyoming) as the "Kemmerer Rouge."

I am trying to figure out some cute names for the garden areas where I have collected my fossils. I'm setting them up as teaching gardens. Like...

Corals Corral?

Fisherites (I can't pronounce Receptaculitids correctly)... it's more of a place

Cephalopod Way?

Trace fossils... Or maybe just put the appropriate trace fossils at the end or to the side of the site.

And I have a dinosaur garden to sort of simulate how the bones are found (buried usually).

Then I have a sandbox set up for the kids to dig their own fossils and minerals. I would call it "Fossil Dig" but I have found that many children are more interested in the minerals than the fossis (quartz mainly).

Thoughts? Ideas?

Alright, Bev. I have one more for you for the snails:

Gastropods' Little Acre.

Jess

Corals Corral?

Cephalopod Way?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Brachs "lamp shell lane"

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks