Plio/pleistocene Gastropods From Florida

Herb

Here's a couple gastropods I picked up last week in Venice, FL. Tamiami formation, Plio/pleistocene

L- Triplofusus sp.

M- Sinistrofulgar sp.

R- Busycon sp.

post-2520-0-85325300-1402019726_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Oops,my bad, here it is with the scale.

post-2520-0-37815500-1402019805_thumb.jpg

In case you can't see it that rulers in inches, not centimeters. :D

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The ruler increases the jaw-drop quotient by an order of magnitude :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 months later...

Oops,my bad, here it is with the scale.

attachicon.gifG-Pleistocene-Tamiami-Form2.jpg

In case you can't see it that rulers in inches, not centimeters. :D

Hey Herb, those are cool! I've run into some busted up ones that size down here and am still on the hunt for them--found one Strombus in the attached picture with the tip broken off that's getting close to your whopper sized grazers but most have been much smaller!

post-1240-0-65824500-1407542848_thumb.jpg

Did you happen to snag any of the big Pectens? Tell me you didnt lug any of those Mercenaria clams home! just teasing if you did---I have some--why I'm not entirely sure. My wife saw the fossils and went out and bought some frozen Mrs Paul's clams for dinner! LOL.

Congrats! Regards, Chris

Here is a valuable new asset for classification of those fossils.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/gallery.asp?gallery=Florida%20Mollusca-Gastropoda

I've got a large collection of gastropods and bivalves from that area.

Thanks tmaier. Yep I've been using that for awhile and there is certainly a wealth of info in there...Between MikeR's online info and some of the other Florida references I'm making a dent in some of the ID's. Any chance you an invert expert or know bryozoans? Any chance you have a softcopy of Echols 1960 The Bryozoa of the Tamiami Formation (Miocene) of Florida. I'm looking to nail down this Bryozoan Sarasota surface find--not sure the pore structure is visible enough for an ID. If not I'll eventually put this and some of the other unknowns over in the ID thread section eventually....

post-1240-0-75283300-1407549184_thumb.jpg

By the way, from what I believe I've got 2 different Hystrivasum in this photo. I believe the one is H. horridum and not sure about the other. There is also what I believe is a Phyllonotus and maybe a Hexaplex.

Regards, Chris

I'm not an expert, I'm just an amateur collector.

The one on the left I would have said was horridum, but there has been some confusion on that. The horridum was supposed to have two ragged ridges on the shoulder, but check out what the florida museum has posted as locklini.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/display.asp?catalog_number=136940&gallery_type=Florida%20Mollusca-Gastropoda

That looks like a horridum to me.

I have what I believe to be a horridum on the Berkeley musuem site, and the classification was accepted as Vasum horridum ten years ago. The genus Vasum has been eliminated and now it might be called Hystrivasum horridum?

http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=fossil_gallery&sectionnav=detail&submission_id=1688&taxon_id=&state_id=20&period_id=&assemblage_id=&last_section=search

And when I look up what wikipedia is calling horridum, I don't like the look of their example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hystrivasum_horridum

but their verbal description is what I know to be correct.

So the whole thing is pretty confusing... need an expert to sort that out.

And are you sure that image is a byozoa and not a sponge? The pores look like porifera to me.

Edited by tmaier

Here's most of my collection of plio-pleist from the Venice area...

post-16101-0-39329700-1407588740_thumb.jpg

The bigger stuff is in boxes somewhere.

Here's most of my collection of plio-pleist from the Venice area...

attachicon.gifvenice_plio_pleis.jpg

The bigger stuff is in boxes somewhere.

Thanks for the links. Here's the other view of these guys..should have included earlier.

post-1240-0-80808800-1407596568_thumb.jpg

I did find that I have some small Busycon's and some others that maybe juveniles of the genera Herb has collected. Here's maybe a different species of Triplofusus?

post-1240-0-76098800-1407596507_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-73505900-1407596510_thumb.jpg

I do have other specimens that I thought were bryozoans that are much less branching but similar in structure. One is encrusting a gastropod shell (top right), some tubes of some sort and another example with a barnacle growing on top (top left).

post-1240-0-88387800-1407596512_thumb.jpg

Here's the view of the base of the earlier specimen.

post-1240-0-59129000-1407596521_thumb.jpg

I havent got enough reading/experience under my belt to differentiate bryozoan/sponge. At some point I'll get many of these all ID'd. Maybe Herb has also run into some of them in his collecting from these beds. There are quite a few of us that have Plio-Pleistocene material here in the forum.

Again, thanks for the info. Looks like you have quite a nice collection of these guys! Regards, Chris