Deep Time/plate Tectonics Teacher Workshop

Just wrapped up a six hour teacher workshop on Deep Time/Plate Tectonics. Had 8 secondary teachers in attendance. No pics because I was too busy pacing the room and waving my arms around. It was a great day. I got to spend a day talking about my passion for geology/paleontology with dedicated teachers, and got paid for it. We modeled geological/stratigraphic principles with our bodies, drawing, play dough, and a 250 foot long roll of toilet paper rolled out from one end of the building and back.

Which made me reflect on the connections I've made through collaboration between K-12 educators and the professional earth science community--both academic and industry. I've worked with Dr. Kathy Ellins at the UT Austin Bureau of Economic Geology (she donated about 1000 bucks worth of BEG maps and literature to this workshop and a previous four day workshop in Wichita Falls). Drs. Jon and Hillary Olsen at UT Austin. Dr. Carolyn Hahn Schroeder at Texas A & M (I had the privilege and pleasure of guiding her on a field trip of the Walnut Clay). Dr. Rebecca Dodge and Dr. Jesse Carlucci of Midwestern State University/Wichita Falls (I've had the pleasure and privilege of co-presenting with them in Wichita Falls). Kristi Carlucci, who is the Educational Programs Director at the Museum of Osteology in Oklahoma City (She uses micro-matrix I collect for her with kids). Dr. Mark Ouimette and Dr. Steve Rosscoe of Hardin Simmons University/Abilene (Steve has come out to speak to my students, and Dr. Ouimette and I have made the long drive to MacDonald Observatory with many stops on the way for impromptu field explorations). I never would have had the opportunity to meet Erose, JohnJ and Dan Woehr (all familiar names on TFF) if it weren't for K-16 education conferences. And a list of K-12 teachers from across Texas and as far away as Jamaica too long to list (but I can't leave out Gwenna Gallenberger, former petroleum geologist and current middle school teacher in Wichita Falls She is my "conference wife", and Camille has met her and is happy with that. Gwenna keeps me out of trouble when she's not getting me in trouble). And these are just the ones I now consider not just Linked In connections but friends. And I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

I'm not trying to blow my own horn here. I just wanted to point out that at least in Texas there is a vibrant collaboration between Earth Science professionals and the K-12 academic communities.

And tongue in cheek, with no offense meant, I'd rather have a beer with the geologists, the engineers, and field biologists. The physicists, math geeks, computer science folks, and micro-biologists can be a bit high-falutin'. The admin folks at UT Austin had to tell the geology department to quit having keggers right outside the building.

Edited by mikecable

Well done, Mike. Thanks for what you do to keep the Earth Sciences alive in Texas public schools.

Looking forward to hunting with you again, soon.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

JohnJ--I'll be PMing you tomorrow. But if you, I and Erich can arrange an evening trip next week on Wednesday to one of the Hwy 360 Walnut Clay sites that would be great. I might have a few teachers tagging along.

The best teachers are the ones who never forgot how to play.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Awesome. Earth Science, astronomy and of course, paleontology are my favorite subjects. Took a few college geology courses while stationed in Japan through the University of Maryland. Helped me understand how fossils could be found on mountain tops, fascinating stuff. Hats off to you, sir.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif