These Are Rebbachisaurus Garasbae's Tooth ?

dino555

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to fossils.

These are REBBACHISAURUS GARASBAE tooth ?

Thanks for all your help!

post-15612-0-06629300-1403068401_thumb.jpg

post-15612-0-44904100-1403068541_thumb.jpg

post-15612-0-38480200-1403068556_thumb.jpg

post-15612-0-33705600-1403068569_thumb.jpg

You do have what appears to be sauropod teeth and looking at the preservation guessing from Morocco's Kem Kem Beds. These type of teeth are typically sold as Rebbachisaurus and may be. However, isolated teeth are always difficult to pin on a specific species unless there are diagonistic characteristics present especially from that region. What I can say is that they are Diplodocoidea type teeth and a good chance of being from a Rebbachisaurus species.

The same article that only tentatively identified a pterosaur tooth from Morocco (Kellner and Mader, 1997) also figures a tooth similar to your specimen though the one in the article is less complete. It is noted as having a morphology "generally consistent with that of diplodocid teeth..." but adds "equally possible that [it] belongs to a titanosaurid." The article also points out that Rebacchiosaurus garasbae is not known from tooth remains but someone must have learned that a sauropod had been described from Morocco and a dealer wrote that name on the label. Dealers visit each other at shows and look at each other's websites. Some just copy names for fossils that they did not know before instead of checking to see if could be correct.

Fossil collecting is like art collecting or antique collecting in that at some point you need to become your own expert especially if you're going to specialize in dinosaur teeth - greater chance to make an expensive mistake.

Kellner, A.W and B.J. Mader. 1997.

Archosaur teeth from the Cretaceous of Morocco. Journal of Paleontology. 71 (3):525-327.

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to fossils.

These are REBBACHISAURUS GARASBAE tooth ?

Thanks for all your help!

• I found this Informative 1

Jess

I picked up a morrocan tooth that I think fits more a titanosaurid shape than those typically are sold as Rebbachisaurus and resembles what comes out of Argentina. Its thin and faceted all around. Any thoughts? On the Rebbachisaurus type tooth I lean towards being Diplodocid type tooth just because of the similiarity of what I see come out of the Morrison. Very few good articles out there on sauropod material from north africa so its guess work by most trying to figure out what they have.

I chuckled on your comments about dealers copying one another, how very true. Most, not all, follow the commercial trends and never look to educate themselves. Most dealers want to put a species name next to a specimen thinking its easier to sell and I think they are correct. Collectors like to associate an item to a face/species.

post-10935-0-40210500-1403263350_thumb.jpg

Troodon,

I see what you mean. That is an oddball tooth and it does look like some of the Morrison teeth - simple peg-like form with a wear facet. I have a similar one but someone told me it wasn't a tooth even though it has an apparent angled wear facet on one end and an opening on the other end like a root does. I hung onto it because he didn't know what it was.

I also have one of those weird hook-like specimens from the same deposit that may be a vestigial claw of a pterosaur. Of course, I can't find it at the moment. There are a lot of weird little specimens from the Kem-Kem/Taouz area.

Jess

Jess
I picked up a morrocan tooth that I think fits more a titanosaurid shape than those typically are sold as Rebbachisaurus and resembles what comes out of Argentina. Its thin and faceted all around. Any thoughts? On the Rebbachisaurus type tooth I lean towards being Diplodocid type tooth just because of the similiarity of what I see come out of the Morrison. Very few good articles out there on sauropod material from north africa so its guess work by most trying to figure out what they have.
I chuckled on your comments about dealers copying one another, how very true. Most, not all, follow the commercial trends and never look to educate themselves. Most dealers want to put a species name next to a specimen thinking its easier to sell and I think they are correct. Collectors like to associate an item to a face/species.