Are These Pterosaur Anhanguera Tooth ?

dino555

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to fossils.
I have PTEROSAUR ANHANGUERA Tooth from Oued Zem, Morocco... But I am not sure .
Are there any experts who can help me with this?
Thanks for all your help!

post-15612-0-66705600-1403094425_thumb.jpg

post-15612-0-60825900-1403094436_thumb.jpg

post-15612-0-01490400-1403094449_thumb.jpg

post-15612-0-48488900-1403094455_thumb.jpg

These teeth are typically sold as Pterosaur and appear to be so. I am not knowledgeable enough to ID them to a species.

Teeth of this form have not been formally described from Morocco as far as I know. There is an article (Kellner and Mader, 1997) that figures a very similar tooth and says, "Although far from conclusive..."most consistent with the teeth of some pterosaurs, particularly the anhanguerids from the Early Cretaceous Santana Formation of northeastern Brazil." That is hardly a confident identification but it is close enough for some fossil dealers. Because unidentified teeth are difficult to sell, they will will write "Anhanguera" on the label based on that quote.

However, some dealers are just going by what they have been told. One guy thinks it might be a relative of Anhanguera and then another says it might be Anhanguera and then he tells a third person that someone called it Anhanguera. Soon, you have several fossil dealers calling it Anhanguera.

It's often difficult to trace the ID back to what was actually said but sometimes you can get lucky.

Kellner, A.W and B.J. Mader. 1997.

Archosaur teeth from the Cretaceous of Morocco. Journal of Paleontology. 71 (3):525-327.

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to fossils.
I have PTEROSAUR ANHANGUERA Tooth from Oued Zem, Morocco... But I am not sure .
Are there any experts who can help me with this?
Thanks for all your help!