Why Do Therapod Knees Bend Backward?

TheChill

• New Members

I was wondering why Therapod knees are always articulated bending backwards, like a human knee, when all other bipedal knees (bird and kangaroo) bend forward?

From the perspective of therapod dinosaurs being (at times) ambush predators, doesn't a forward bending knee make more sense, particularly when you do not have arms to grapple prey? (eg. birds of prey).

If birds are evolved therapod dinosaurs, when did the locomotion transition from backward to forward bending knees take place?

Does the articulation of fossil bones make a forward bending knee impossible?

Or am I just missing something obvious?

I appreciate your thoughts and comments, Cheers.

That is their heel. Like birds, the metatarsals are fused into a single, long tarsometatarsus. The femur/tibia joint (AKA knee) is higher up the leg, and articulates normally.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Birds actually have the exact same condition as non-avian theropods (birds being a subgroup of theropod dinosaurs). If you look, most birds have a backwards joint in their leg - and just like theropods, it's their ankle joint, and the actual knee joint is higher up and generally hidden in the feathers.

• I found this Informative 1

And just to mess with us... Horse people actually call the horse's ankle the knee. I had a great argument once with a horse vet about why horse knees bend backwards. I did not know then that they call the ankle the knee.... Same setup as birds and theropods.

All the vertebrates that walk on their tippy-toes. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!