Fossil Prairie Park - Need Some Guidance

fossilized6s

I just found out about the Fossil Prairie Park in Rockford, IA. So we're planning on making a family outing there in a month or so. Does anyone have extensive knowledge of this Park? I'm looking to collect some micro matrix and I'm looking for more vertebrates then inverts. Which part of the Park should we hike to (north, east, south, west)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

You're going to find mostly Devonian invertebrate fossils: lots and lots of Brachiopods, Bryozoan, Crinoid pieces, gastropods, corals, etc.

The fossils are eroding out of the Lime Creek shale deposit - the site is literally paved with fossils. With the on-going rains in the Midwest, lots of new stuff will be uncovered, but the site will be a quagmire, as the shale quickly turns to mud as it's exposed.

It is possible to find fish remains, but they are very rare, and what you find are small indeterminate pieces of bone.

here's a TR from our last trip in 2009 (OMG what happened to my kids?!!!):

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/8514-trip-to-rockford/?hl=rockford

Yeah, it looks like a good place to teach the kids about fossils and what to look for.

I saw fish that were found there, but is there digging allowed?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I saw fish that were found there, but is there digging allowed?

It's run by Floyd County, so it's a county park; I'm not sure if digging is allowed.

Thanks for your insight John. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully i can at the very least split some shale out of the walls. And hopefully the micro hunting will be fruitful.

~Charlie~

Does anyone know if trilobites are found there regularly? They still elude me.

~Charlie~

Trilobites are probably not found there. They are found in older strata in Iowa. Specifiically the Rapid Member of the Little Cedar formation. Found in quarries in Iowa City.

The main draw for rockford in my opinion is the Diverse brachiopod assemblage. I have collected 22 different species of Brachiopods in a few collecting trips and they all have excellent preservation.

I have pictures of the brachiopods on my flickr site.

As for collecting, the higher up areas seem to produce a bit more. It is more limestone rich in the top beds and kinda crumbly. There is different brachiopods in these beds then the ones below. Best to just walk away from the parking lot as far as you can.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Thanks for the hunting tips Squalicorax.

~Charlie~

• 3 weeks later...

Charlie

hope the family had a great day in Rockford. You must have discovered that every step you take lands on a variety of brachiopods, gastropods,etc and so 3-D, it's unreal. No trilos there for me or anyone else I have heard from, though.

Penny