Help W/ This Recent Missouri Find

emurphy

Friend just started fossil hunting and we were wondering what he found here. Thanks for any help!

Edit: NOT MISSOURI! Found on the beach in Corpus Christi, TX. Now I'm thinking modern whale?

post-15716-0-48390300-1403883332_thumb.jpg

post-15716-0-71674300-1403883344_thumb.jpg

Edited by emurphy

It looks similar to a hoof core. It's definitely jointed.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

The vein canals and the joint at the "top" are pretty defining. Im not sure what it's from, but a quick internet search may yield you an answer. Size is the main thing in this case.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

The vein canals and the joint at the "top" are pretty defining. Im not sure what it's from, but a quick internet search may yield you an answer. Size is the main thing in this case.

Thanks for the help. On Google now seeing very similar bones.

A fossil is anything older then 10,000 years. You can do the "tongue" and/or "burn" test. Both are very primitive techniques but effective. If you tongue sticks to it, it's still bone and not mineralized yet. Also if you burn a bit of it and it smells like burnt hair or has a bad odor it's still bone. Good luck.

~Charlie~

A fossil is anything older then 10,000 years. You can do the "tongue" and/or "burn" test. Both are very primitive techniques but effective. If you tongue sticks to it, it's still bone and not mineralized yet. Also if you burn a bit of it and it smells like burnt hair or has a bad odor it's still bone. Good luck.

Don't be offended that I Googled "Tongue test" first! lol

Thank you

It's an artiodactyl 'hoof core' (Phalanx III). Based on size, likely from a cow or a bison.

-Joe

Thanks Joe!