Where To Find Smilodon/mammal Fossils

VIPERKING

I live in PA.....what is a good place to look for mammal fossils like smilodon or mammoths?

Where are you in PA? The greater part of that state is notably deficient in Pleistocene deposits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am in Leigh County.....I heard about the deficiency.....why is that? So what is the closet place where I can search for some mammal fossils?

I'm pretty sure in Ashland, there is an old coal mind that is open to tours now where they found a mammoth skull. That is the only find in PA local to me that I am aware of. Hmm off to google...

Edited by jeremyh

The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has a web page that lists many of their General Geology Reports. Check out some of the ones that deal with Pleistocene stratigraphy and you may get a few vital clues regarding places to look. There is also a nice little booklet titled Pennsylvania's Prehistoric Pachyderms which deals with some of the mammoth/mastodon finds in the State.

Good Luck!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library