A Little From Here And There

gturner333

I'm not sure about the following and would appreciate your input:

- The first two are from the Ozan formation in Dallas county. They look like the squatirhina sp. in "The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays..." I was keying off of the scalloped edge. But the book says that they are rare, so that makes me doubtful.

- the next two (tooth smallest bot.pdf and top.pdf), also from the same area, look like a small ray tooth. not sure, though

- the next two look like a Ischyrhiza mira rostral tooth, but seem too thin

- the next one is from Jacksboro, TX (Pennsylvanian). They are long, slightly curved, with a grove down the middle. Have no clue on those.

- the last picture shows pieces from Myalina subquadrata bivalves. I was just wondering if anyone has ever found a complete one. I have found them at several locations, but always in pieces.

thanks to all who respond.

post-11358-0-34371700-1404701274_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-68217600-1404701275_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-58803500-1404701333_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-86789400-1404701334_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-34559000-1404702110_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-83094800-1404702111_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-77912500-1404702129_thumb.jpg

I noticed that the first four were swapped in position. Move your cursor over the picture and you will see the file name.

Nice finds Gary. As you might guess I can help with the Jaxbro goniatite. It's Neodimorphoceras texanum. If the sutures were showing you might think it was the more common Gonioloboceras sp. also found there but they have more angular saddles and no ventral grove like yours. N. texanum has rounded saddles near the venter but the grove on the venter gives it away.

Edited by BobWill

I don't think your clams made it into the post. I've found some at Jaxbro but the outer edges are always missing. Roz has some nice ones shown on Lance's website.

Nice finds. The first tooth resembles the enamel portion of a Rhinobatos tooth. It could be some other type of ray tooth too. The one you have marked as Squatirhina is most likely a dermal denticle. The tooth you have marked as Ishchyrhiza is a bony fish tooth. It could be from Enchodus.

Nice finds. The first tooth resembles the enamel portion of a Rhinobatos tooth. It could be some other type of ray tooth too. The one you have marked as Squatirhina is most likely a dermal denticle. The tooth you have marked as Ishchyrhiza is a bony fish tooth. It could be from Enchodus.

Agree with Al Dente on the ids.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

thanks, Bob. Here are the pictures for the Myalina subquadrata. Do you have a link to Lance's website?

I looked at the Neodimorphoceras texanum in the Pennsylvanian Fossil book and it mentioned them getting as large as 3" in diameter. This segment is almost 2" long and is only a small portion of the total arc. Do you think they get this large?

I also swapped out the lens on my microscope to get better pictures of what I was calling Squatirhina and have attached them. I saw some pictures in the Shark and Ray book of placoid scales and dermal denticles that have a scalloped edge. If you have the book, picture "G" on page 26 looks a lot like what I posted, without the base.

I agree that the first one does look like the top of a Rhinobatos. It's too bad the root wasn't with it. It is often a dead giveaway for a Rhinobatos.

As for the larger tooth, I never considered it to be enchodus. I have found literally hundreds of what I think are enchodus teeth and none ever had anything on the base. I will attach a picture of some of them and you can confirm or deny that they are enchodus. So, is the base the root or part of the jaw?

post-11358-0-40913300-1404739096_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-87282000-1404740881_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-03067200-1404740883_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-04660800-1404740884_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-89703700-1404742826_thumb.jpg

Yeah, some of mine would have come from a shell larger than 3" too. The species may be different or maybe those are the largest ones they found to note in that publication. It's the only thing I've been able to find of the right age with that ventral groove.

Lance's site is separated into cretaceous and Pennsylvanian besides orders and classes etc.

http://www.northtexasfossils.com/

Edited by BobWill

I also swapped out the lens on my microscope to get better pictures of what I was calling Squatirhina and have attached them. I saw some pictures in the Shark and Ray book of placoid scales and dermal denticles that have a scalloped edge. If you have the book, picture "G" on page 26 looks a lot like what I posted, without the base.

Your new pictures are much better. However the one specimen still looks like a dermal denticle to me.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thamnks, Marco. How about the fish teeth? Encodus? And, what is on the base of that one tooth?

Thamnks, Marco. How about the fish teeth? Encodus? And, what is on the base of that one tooth?

I believe that they are fish teeth. I think what is on the base is part of the jaw bone. The tip of the one tooth looks a little pathologic. There are so many fish teeth that can look very similar but a species of Encodus still seems very possible.

Marco Sr.

I looked at the Neodimorphoceras texanum in the Pennsylvanian Fossil book and it mentioned them getting as large as 3" in diameter. This segment is almost 2" long and is only a small portion of the total arc. Do you think they get this large?

I just looked in the book and noticed it says "3 inches minus the living chamber". Since our specimens don't show sutures they probably are parts of the living chambers so they would be bigger than 3".

Edited by BobWill

I just looked in the book and noticed it says "3 inches minus the living chamber". Since our specimens don't show sutures they probably are parts of the living chambers so they would be bigger than 3".

I always considered given "max size" and "stratigraphic ranges" to be always suspect or at least open to revision.