Crowdfunding Science

Auspex

This is a pretty big shift from the traditional scientific funding model, and I suspect we will see more of it for small projects.

LINK

Relevent hook: "One researcher, for example, raised about $2,000 to hire a truck and buy camp supplies to recover a triceratops skeleton he'd found in Wyoming."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is not very specific, but I am left wondering if it is a researcher or a commercial collector who is collecting said Triceratops. I have dealt with the press often enough that I can say they don't know the difference.

I can only go by what it says ("researcher"), accuracy not withstanding. It would be a bad thing if a commercial enterprise misrepresented their 'project' in order to make money...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I can only go by what it says ("researcher"), accuracy not withstanding. It would be a bad thing if a commercial enterprise misrepresented their 'project' in order to make money...

Exactly what I an thinking, auspex.

I guess you'd have to do some research of your own before you donated...I posted an inquiry in the comment section of the news feed; maybe someone familiar with the process will weigh in.

You mean crowdfunding? :) (feel free to delete this)

Thanks!

Lately, I've been making a lot of spelling mistakes :blush:

>topic title fixed; was "croudfunding"<

The article is “Scientists turn to public to help pay

for research” in WTOP Tech at:

http://www.wtop.com/884/3659372/Scientists-turn-to-public-to-help-pay-for-research

The article stated:

"One researcher, for example, raised about $2,000

to hire a truck and buy camp supplies to recover a

triceratops skeleton he'd found in Wyoming."

For the details, go see:

Bring a Triceratops to Seattle

Christian Sidor | Brandon Peecook | Tom Kaye

University of Washington, Experiment.com

https://experiment.com/projects/bring-a-triceratops-to-seattle

There are some other Paleontology crowdfunding at

https://experiment.com/discover/paleontology

Yours,