Possible Equus Scotti?

hunterman

• New Members

found this eroding out of a bank in eastern montana. all my research indicates it is a horse of some kind. the few differences I've noticed from a modern horse is that the occipital bone is larger and slightly pointed up and the sharp cheek ridge extends forward of the molars. any info would be appreciated.

post-15836-0-40449800-1404951097_thumb.jpg

post-15836-0-46000500-1404951119_thumb.jpg

• New Members

I find a lot of dino and sea creature stuff and am getting more knowledgeable on identifying that stuff but this one im kinda at a loss. not too much measurement/distinct feature info on early horses. I guess its possible its a modern horse from just a couple hundred years ago. the bones have definitely been mineralized. looks like there is more, I've also found leg bones and ribs. Might be more

Its definitely some kind of horse (or distant relative). I would wait until Rich or Harry chimes in.

Also i think if you could get a clear shot of the chewing surface of any molar, that would help a lot with the ID.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• New Members

Thanks, i'll get a shot of the molars in a couple days when I go back out. It is still way out in the hills. didn't want to go thru the process of hauling it out until I was sure and there is more to uncover also.

Yes, a shot of the palate would be most helpful to determine which horse it is.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".