Ancient Snake Size Of Bus

JimInAugusta

There apparently was a talk about this at SVP this year (which I missed unfortunately - I didnt see a whole lot of presentations there anyway), and me and several other students have been waiting patiently since october for an actual article (besides the initial press release back in october). Pretty dang cool if you ask me...

yeah i saw this. lots of fossils in mainstream news lately :)

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

it's a tad sobering to see the two verts together. the teeny, weeny one from a 17' snake and then mac daddy, at least an order of magnitude larger. crapola, man.

i bet fossil hunters back then had to be really careful where they looked for stuff.

There are a lot of unknown variables in the assumptions made in the calculations. It was, no doubt, a superlatively large snake, but the range of error in the estimate could be pretty large too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

At 2,500 Pounds And 43 Feet, Prehistoric Snake Is Largest On Record

ScienceDaily (Feb. 4, 2009) — The largest snake the world has ever known -- as long as a school bus and as heavy as a small car -- ruled tropical ecosystems only 6 million years after the demise of the fearsome Tyrannosaurus rex, according to a new discovery published in the journal Nature.

Just another article on the subject, fine it HERE!

Discovery channel.com/Daily Planet.ca, had the same type of articale on TV this past week.

Or so I thought I could not find the artical, but I did see it on TV (cabin fever.. help)

I would still like to see what Bone Digger would do if he came across

something like that on a hike :faint:

i would agree with Auspex that there is alot of room for error in calculations. the funny thing is that there is a snake today, alive, that is larger than the estimated length of the fossil snake 49' long and it weighs in at just 990 lbs. its a python that was captured in indonesia i believe in 2004.