Mammoth?

Frty12345

I bought this way back in 2010 and the lady told me it was a part of a mammoth. Is it? And if it is what part? Thanks in advance :).

post-15835-0-87569900-1405218389_thumb.jpg

post-15835-0-39755900-1405218403_thumb.jpg

Allosaurus_size_comparison.svg.png

Good luck in finding out. It appears to be just a fragment and most likely could be any part of any bone. The main way to find out is what was found with it. Was it found with several other mammoth bones or what?

Hope you find out more about it.

Thanks for trying guys, I have no clue what it was found with just that it was found in Alaska. :/

It's for sure mammoth tusk. A section, anyways. :) The lines you can see on the side are from the Schreger effect. The fibres produce 'lines' in the material. If you look at the thicker end, you can (If it's thick enough) see sort of V shapes that will cross each other.

I would have to see better photos before saying it's fossil ivory, and I don't see any exclusive ivory characteristics....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It's for sure mammoth tusk. A section, anyways. :) The lines you can see on the side are from the Schreger effect. The fibres produce 'lines' in the material. If you look at the thicker end, you can (If it's thick enough) see sort of V shapes that will cross each other.

Thank you so much sir, I appreciate it! :D