Fossil Identification Please

Koopyetz

Fossil found among rocks collected for border along house.

Soil littered with rocks of various sizes. Unsure if sample provided is from formation in area or deposited from past glacier activity.

Is it ammonoid gastropod or ?

House is located in area as described to me as middle devonian hamilton group , moscow formation made up of menteth , deep run and tichenor members.

Thank you

Rick

post-15888-0-84241200-1405384839_thumb.jpeg

It looks like a nautiloid cephalopod, which one I cannot say, but there are many that are contemporary with the age of your strata.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

my guess would be gastropod, doesn't really help much does it.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

To my eyes, it looks like a gastropod. I think I'm seeing surface shell detail on a raised spire. If the coiling is not in a plane, than it definitely is a gastropod.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Welcome to the forum. Interesting fossil. I agree with gastropod but just too beat up to say which unless you knew the site where it came from and made comparisons with other material from there. What look like septa are probably just what's left of ornamentation on the far side as they don't appear in the early whorls. Also as Missourian said it's rare to see cephalopods coil in a moving plane.

Edited by BobWill

I guess what I was taking for septa are external ornament?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess what I was taking for septa are external ornament?

Chas,

That's it, exactly.

Some of these were highly ornamented, and it looks like some differential weathering has taken place.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me