Complete Mastodon Tusk

cavemouse

Would this have come from a young mastodon its about 38 inches long and about 15 inches around

post-15898-0-24864000-1405461126_thumb.jpg

post-15898-0-34454300-1405461184_thumb.jpg

From whence did it come?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like a mastodon tusk. At 38 inches could be from a young adult animal. Very rare to find such a complete example. Were there any associated bones?

It doesn't seem fully mineralized, because of the fracturing/splintering. I've had Longhorn Steer horns do this. But that's just an observation....i could be wrong.

If it is real, it's an AWESOME piece!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Holy snarge! Try to get it authenticated. I saw Central Ms and it sure perked me up, I live in Central ms.

A 4 wheeler had straddled it in the creek bottom nothing but the tip was sticking out I kept digging and the further I got the more excited I got woo hoo complete. With all the pieces without sealing them they start to crumble.

Could you please take pictures of your find outside in the sunlight? The folks here who can help you need to see details that may only be seen with the pictures being taken with proper lighting. These pictures are heavily shadowed.

Thanks

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

VFOTM candidate?

Cheers.

-Ken

It has to be found in July of 2014 to qualify. But i would say "yes".

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Unfortunately for VFOTM I found it a few years ago. I will get it in the sunlight this afternoon and take some more pictures of it.

It probably is only partially mineralized. It may need treatment to stabilize it and keep it from degrading. There is a natural history museum in Jackson MS that can probably help you.

fkaa

ashcraft, brent allen

don't waste your time and money getting it authenticated, it is absolutely an American mastodon upper tusk.

Post your Proboscidea!!!!!

I have a leg bone,1/2 pelvis some vertebrae,piece of jaw bone, rib pieces, tusk pieces.

Very impressive personal finds. Congratulations.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

great find!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...