Douglas Pass, Colorado

runner50

I recently was out west fossil hunting. Among other places I stopped at was Douglas Pass. My understanding about collecting there was as long as we parked outside the gate leading up to the radar site and worked the road cut there was not problem. This time I was stopped by the supervisor of the site and was told no one ever had permission to work the road cut and I had to get outside the gate immediately. When I pointed out all the collecting sites that obviously were being worked he denied that it was happening. When I asked him about any sites on the other side of the mountain top that would be "inside" the gate he just looked at me. I'm hoping this is just a momentary mix up otherwise we're going to lose a very nice collecting site. He did tell me that the site was due for a security inspection in August

• I found this Informative 1

Hey runner, I haven't been there for about 3 years, but that's BLM land. I don't see how they can kick you outta there? Im not talking about past the gate, but the rest of that mountain top. Maybe something has changed?

RB

Some good discussion earlier on the forum, here. It's emphasized to stay away from the radar dome and the fenced area. There is a lot of BLM land available for collecting in the surrounding area. Some online sites show large quarries, at least as far as fossil hunting is concerned.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Here is what my 8 year old son found 17 years ago there by the radar station. and yes, we still have it. I would love to go back, but getting too old and fat to that kind of digging!!!

RB

post-171-0-62981100-1405975095_thumb.jpg