Any Sites Near Nokomis, Florida?

silverphoenix

I have a couple of good friends who are visiting Nokomis, Florida tomorrow. Does anyone know of any sites I can direct them to around there?

A fossil forum friend just went to Apollo Beach, which is an easy drive from Nokomis:

post-2220-0-93060500-1406831139_thumb.jpg

The rivers and creeks are too deep in the summer rainy season, so dry land or beaches are your likely choices.

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Manasota key is a decent place for finding small teeth in the water with a 16.oo flea rake from walmart. Casperson beach is closer but don't seem to have as many teeth. Apollo is an hour from nokomis and unless you go at low tide you are not likely to find much. I have always had the best luck at low tide no matter where i'd go.

If you want any Apollo Beach info, PM me. I don't think Shellseeker realized how far it was from Nokomis. But I found the above items as well as a small incisor and gator scute at about midrange tide (up to but not into the mangroves). There are always good things to find, even when it's not low tide, but it is SMALL stuff; wear your glasses! :-)

Zookeeperfossils.com

If you want any Apollo Beach info, PM me. I don't think Shellseeker realized how far it was from Nokomis. But I found the above items as well as a small incisor and gator scute at about midrange tide (up to but not into the mangroves). There are always good things to find, even when it's not low tide, but it is SMALL stuff; wear your glasses! :-)

Miatria, great finds from Apollo to be sure. It used to be much better back before they built the seawall and eliminated 90% of the beach. Apollo was one of my very first fossil-hunting sites when I first moved to Florida 8 years ago. I still return from time to time out of nostalgia I guess. I found some great stuff there over the years too including a number of broken meg teeth and some really nice tigers. The finds are far and few between unfortunately and because so little of the original beach still remains for hunting, the competition is fierce.

Here is a pic of Apollo finds I posted way back when I first joined TFF ! :D

Fragments

• 3 weeks later...

It's all about scaling back your expectations, Search4, lol!

Since I can't get into the Peace River for at least another month, I went back to Apollo for some more "micro" hunting. Three more fabulous tiny teeth but to be honest, it strains my patience and my eyesight. :)

post-10484-0-05343900-1408646568_thumb.jpg

Zookeeperfossils.com