New To Forum/fossil Hunting

fossilbryan

• New Members

Hello all, I am new to the forum and fossil hunting. I apologize for any ignorance in advance. However, I've been picking up fossils for awhile. I'm an avid bottle digger/Indian artifact collector. I found this the other day and was wondering if it could be coprolite? I think I got that right. May be just a rock. I was hoping someone could fill me in. I look forward to learning a lot. Thanks in advance.

post-16074-0-92882500-1407022431_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Instead of saying that you're ignorant, tell people that you have "extra capacity to learn" instead. That sounds better and it's probably more of an reflection on what you really are in terms of fossil collecting as well. That doesn't strike me as being a coprolites- it's just a cool rock. In fact, that's one of the coolest rocks I've seen in a while. Nice find!

Edited by Pumpkinhead

• New Members

Hello and thanks the speedy replies! Extra capacity to learn, I like that! I kind of figured it might just be a rock. I run across all sorts of things while hunting fields. Some man made, some not of course :) Thanks again for the help.

• New Members

Hello Howard, I just tried your tests. It does scratch glass and a penny. However, the knife doesn't seem to do a thing to it.

• New Members

Forgot to mention I found it in a plowed field that runs along a stream.

Looks like a chunk of pyrite. If you scratch it on a white tile it should leave a orange streak.

Pyrite streaks black, I think.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome!

It does look like a pyrite nodule. No coprolite here.

I would love to see some of your bottles and artifacts. Just make sure they're posted in the right sections.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

If it is pyrite and you have any way to grind it (on the side) it will leave a black residue that stains everything and give off a sulfur smell. The other potential could be slag from an old iron furnace. If it was found in a field it was probably exposed to the environment for a long time. Slag would hold up a lot longer due to the silica content than pyrite would. The have enough different properties to determine which it could be.