Bovine/bison Or Camelid/other Cannon? (Northtexas River Find)

lamplighter36

Had a great time river digging with the Dallas Paleontology Society today near Sherman, TX.

Found a bone which some hailed "the find" and ID'ed as a Camel leg. Others said modern bovine or perhaps Bison if I was lucky.

I've scoured the web and found many similar bones with regard to general appearance. Problem is all the Bison Cannons I see seem to be fatter in the center. This one seems a little on the skinny side (1" skinnyest part and 2" widest part) and long. (8 + 3/4").

It sure feels like its fossilized and has good weight to it.

Thanks for looking and special thanks if you feel like replying.

Thomas

post-8799-0-43584100-1407027130_thumb.jpg

I think it's bos because bison metatarsals are more massive and flare more at the distal ends. This is the more slender leg of a cow.

Edited by BobWill

Bison/Bos. I'll go along with Bob at 75% certainty.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks for all the replies.

This was at the first stop Ryan. Great time, huh! Did you do the second?

Happy hunting!

Nope. My spousal unit and I headed back to Waco. We stopped in Mesquite for lunch but we both were pretty tired. She slept most of the way home. I'm working on talking her into the next trip.

Y'all didn't miss much at the second site. Some teeth were found but the water was not as clear and there were not as many gravel bars to crawl.

I also found the same type of bone from the first hunt location on Saturday. In trying to ID my bone, I ran across your post. I am very hopeful that mine is a bison metatarsal, but I read that there was possibly a slaughterhouse upstream sometime in the past (just hearsay). My bone is 9.5" long and weighs 9.4 grams. Any ideas if this is truly a bison metatarsal?post-8236-0-78858900-1407386305_thumb.jpgpost-8236-0-66454400-1407386337_thumb.jpg

Y'all didn't miss much at the second site. Some teeth were found but the water was not as clear and there were not as many gravel bars to crawl.

Clara was sore the next day still. I don't think she will be attending the next trip but I plan to.

An internet search turned up this comparison of cow vs bison metatarsal. Also an article discussing the differences:

"These bones are so dense people many think they've found a mineralized/fossil bone. Another interesting note, cattle and bison are so similar in the postcranial skeleton that individual bones can often be hard to identify to species. Bison do tend to be larger and more robust however, there are many breeds of cattle and there can be overlap in the size between cattle and bison"
David Dyer, Ohio History Connection Blog, 2013.

post-10605-0-21530500-1407418538_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpevahouse

It's true that postcranial bones can be hard to ID in bovines. A large Brahman bull can have the same robust features found in many bison. The bone Steffi found seems to be a bit less slender than Thomas' but still has the less pronounced flare at the distal end. Thanks for this comparison. It shows an additional feature to bison metatarsals where the flare dips back inward a little.