Four Free Fossils For Beginner Prep

tmaier

As promised, here's a before and after cleaning picture of the Eupatagus antillarum (fossil #1)

Before

post-15970-0-05243400-1407894408_thumb.jpg

After

post-15970-0-10157900-1407894410_thumb.jpg

the process was as follows:

- soaking in water for 1 hours

- soaking in distilled white vinegar for 1 hour, removing at 5 minute intervals and scrubbing with a toothbrush

- washing under faucet for 1 minute

- soaking in water for 1 hour

- left fossil to dry

Thanks Tom for the tips, and for the beautiful fossil!

cheers,

Hashem

Tom first off thank you for your generous donation

To help me learn ...the fossils are awesome!

But yes i could use some help identifying them?

i tried the water soak vinegar soak and with tbe amount

If matrix still on the fossil it didnt cleanup

That easy...all good what do you suggest to remove

The major matrix...i think its too fragile for

Air pens...and i dont think i have the right media

For my air blaster yet?

Try carving and scraping the matrix with a knife. Just make sure you don't hit the fossil itself (or your fingers, too). A grinding wheel, steel brush, dremmel tool... what do you have available? You will find that matrix is so soft it will yield to almost anything you do. It's like compressed powder.

When you get close to the fossil, then switch to lighter manual abrasion, like grinding with a hand stone, sandpaper, etc. Come as close to the fossil as possble without touching it. There is a lot of surface detail on those and you don't want to nick it.

Don't use the vinegar until you get the matrix shaved down really close. Then when you are ready to do the vinegar, go back and read over my tips about how to do it. Remeber to soak the fossil for at least 15 minutes in tap water BEFORE using the vinefar. You might have forgotten that step, but it is OK because the acid didn't seep too far through the matrix yet.

Here are some tips about the other fossils...

a rib bone of a dugong...

mako tooth

sand shark tooth

ray tooth

parrot fish mouth plate

sting ray stinger

Trionyx shell

Hope you enjoy them...

Edited by tmaier

Oh yeah,

Notice Harry Pristis used an air pen (I think) in post #13 of this thread and he had really good results. He might have some tips about how to get started with your new pen.

You could do one with vinegar and one with air pen.

Harry, you out there? Help?

Been collecting for about a year. Too advanced? Have cleaned up some of my finds with a dental instrument. If that would work well on one of these, I would love to try!

Minnbuckeye,

Let me look around. I gave away the ones I had out in the open, but it seems to me I had another coffee can of them also.

I'll get back with you tomorrow.

Oh, UtahFossilHunter,

If the fossil you started with was the small wetherbyi, then it is not totally covered in matrix and you should wash it off for 1 minute under tap water. The acid will be weakening the fossil calcite if you don't wash the acid off.

I thought that was totally covered in matrix, but it isn't.

The acid should only be used to weaken the last remaining thin layer of matrix, and then brush with soft toothbrush as it weakens. By the time you cut through the thick matrix, there would be significant damage to the fossil, which is made of calcite and it also will be dissolved by the acid, only much slower.

So wash it before grinding.

• I found this Informative 1

Here are the results of just using the air pen

Hard to see where the matrix ends on the underside

But i did find this middle fin like structure?

I do have a drimmel and many other tools also

Have the dental pick coming soon

1st photo is before and other two are after air

Pen i worried about the bottom as i cant determine

Matrix area?

post-16188-0-17797000-1408299438_thumb.jpg

post-16188-0-29546900-1408299455_thumb.jpg

post-16188-0-35178800-1408299471_thumb.jpg

Since you have that pen, I'd forget about the acid and just see if you can blast all the matrix off. Never have used a pen myself, but it sure looks like a good tool.

Whenever you are working on a fossil make sure you know the anatomy of it. That will help guide you on what needs to be removed. You are working on the wetherbyi, so here is what it should look like...

http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=fossil_gallery&sectionnav=detail&submission_id=1714&taxon_id=15&state_id=&period_id=8&assemblage_id=&last_section=search

There is no fin on it, so if that is hard calcite then you may have hit another fossil or just a piece of antother echinoid. Sneak under it and it will probably fall off.

Notice there are two holes in the echinoid. The wide hole on the wetherbyi is the mouth and the small hole is the anus.

I would continue with the air pen and carefully examine the surface of the fossil to make sure that you are not abrading away the surface detail. The sand abrasion might be too tough for the fossil surface, but should make short work of the matrix. On the fossil surfacee the sand will probably cause damage because sand is harder than calcite, so you might switch to baking power for the final touches.

When you learn on this one then the big antillarum should be a piece of cake.

Your photos are too blurry for me to see the fossil surface, but a good surface on a wetherbyi will look like this...

post-16101-0-28687700-1408301970_thumb.jpg

Sometimes the fossil already has an eroded surface, so you can never make more perfect than it already is. The exposed parts of that fossil seemed to have very good surface to start out with, though.

Heres as far as i could get i didnt want to damage

Anything ...i did do the vinegar at the end which

Created this small hole...but i think it turned out very

Good for my first prep

I will try a little more with the dental tools on the bottom side

And darn i need a better camera in my phone haha

post-16188-0-31720200-1408364007_thumb.jpg

post-16188-0-50009600-1408364034_thumb.jpg

Definately need a better camera.

You may not have made that hole. I find the wetherbyis often have these holes and you can't see them until after you clean them.

Too much time in the vinegar will cause erosion of the fossil surface, so cleaning these is like playing "Beat The Clock", because you only have a limited amount of expose time before you have to quit.

And make sure you do the acid flush procedure or the "clock" will still be running while you are sleeping. If the fossils smells like vinegar the day after you cleaned it, then you have to flush it again or the acid will cause long term damage.

Thanks Tom

learning more everyday. I truly respect the prep work I have seen posted on this site so far! Ill get there! haha

Yep, I'm just a self taught hack at prep, and some of these guys are pros, so reading, watching, and asking questions from these other guys would be your best education. I only have a vibro pen and a dremmel and some simple hand tools, and attempting to work limestone like you are doing is a major undertaking for me.

The thread "This could turn out to be interesting" is turning out to be interesting. :)

Here's what is probably a hormatoma that is probably from the Catheys formation near Ringgold Tenn. (upper Ordivician). It is the best I have been able to do with a vibro pick and it took me a looong time. It is an internal cast. It is 43 mm long.

post-16101-0-13448300-1408451542_thumb.jpg

When I found this specimen, all I could see was the biggest whorl sticking out of the matrix as a bump, no other detail. I just started picking around at it for good luck and uncovered the whole gastropod inside the matrix.

Edited by tmaier

Ah I found a picture of one...might be better ....the air pens are great for bulk but very dangerous on the fine finishing work

Here's a picture of mine... I got it so long ago I don't remember where I got it.

post-16101-0-54154600-1408453996_thumb.jpg

Many people believe that the vibrations cause nerve damage in the figers, which might be true. The pros use the air tools from what I understand.