Bakersfield Colors Part Deux!

FossilForKids

This time I've decided to show both Hastalis and Planus of the same color scheme. Some of these were found together the same day and other times they are from different days and different holes. Going left to right:

1. Blue, Beige, and cream and it lokks to good to be real but it is all natural with no enhancement i.e. polish.

2. Dark...Dark...Dark!

3. ORANGE....How can these teeth not have Vit. C in them??

4. Blue with Lightening

5. Smooth and Creamy.....Look at the serious hook on the lower left and the perfect Symmetry of the lower middle Hastalis!

6. Steel Blue with Orange roots.

7. Manganese Marvels

8. Blue, Cream amd Yellow/Orange......are you kidding me??

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

John

post-1292-1234080803_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234080944_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234081074_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234081198_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234081337_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234081417_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234081450_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234081494_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

This time I've decided to show both Hastalis and Planus of the same color scheme. Some of these were found together the same day and other times they are from different days and different holes. Going left to right:

1. Blue, Beige, and cream and it lokks to good to be real but it is all natural with no enhancement i.e. polish.

2. Dark...Dark...Dark!

3. ORANGE....How can these teeth not have Vit. C in them??

4. Blue with Lightening

5. Smooth and Creamy.....Look at the serious hook on the lower left and the perfect Symmetry of the lower middle Hastalis!

6. Steel Blue with Orange roots.

7. Manganese Marvels

8. Blue, Cream amd Yellow/Orange......are you kidding me??

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

John

OOOPS forgot:

9. Fire Zone Red

10. Leopard spots

post-1292-1234082471_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234082491_thumb.jpg

Pure eye-candy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOW!! John, those are real beauties... :)

I particularly like the ones in the bottom right picture in your first post... They look almost opalescent in colour. Absolutely stunning!! I think I need to go and have a little lie down after that...

Great stuff!! Thanks for sharing...

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

I want to thank everyone for the nice compliments toward my collection. I think you'll like what's to come in the next few weeks. Bakersfield provided me with alot of interesting finds.

Take Care,

John

...I think you'll like what's to come in the next few weeks. Bakersfield provided me with alot of interesting finds.

How 'bout some bird material? B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Auspex.......You tell me. I've been told that one or all of these could be Bird. I have included a list of the Bird Fuana that has been found there:

Class Aves (Birds)

Order Procellariformes

Family Diomedeidea (albatrosses)

*Diomedea californica (Miller, 1962)

*Diomedea milleri (Howard, 1966)

Diomedea sp. (possibly new species)

Family Procellariidae (shearwaters)

*Puffinus inceptor (Wetmore, 1930)

Puffinus sp.

*Puffinus priscus (Miller, 1961)

*Puffinus mitchelli (Miller, 1961)

*Fulmarus miocaenus (Howard, 1984)

Order Pelecaniformes

Family Sulidae (boobies, gannets)

*Morus vagabundus (Wetmore, 1930)

Morus sp.

Family Pseudodontornithidae (giant bony toothed birds)

Osteodontornis sp.,O. ? orri (Howard, 1957)

Order Anseriformes

Family Anatidae (ducks, geese)

Anserifomes sp. (including Branta sp.of Miller, 1961)

*Presbychen abavus (Wetmore, 1930) (goose-like anseriform)

*Megalodytes morejohni (Howard, 1992) (swan-like anseriform)

Megalodytes sp.

Order Charadriiformes

Family Phoenicopteridae (flamigos)

Megapaloelodus sp.

Family Recurvirostridae (avocets)

Recurvirostra sp.

Family Alcidae (auks, puffins)

Two Genus/species undetermined

Order Ciconiiformes

Family Vulturidae (New World vultures, condors)

*Hadrogyps aigialerus (Emslies, 1988)

Family Ciconiidae (storks)

Genus/species undetermined

Order Falconiformes

Family Pandionidae (ospreys)

*Pandion homalopteron (Warter, 1976

post-1292-1234155532_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234155541_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1234155548_thumb.jpg

I have always been fascinated by the variety of colors in the enamel of STH shark teeth (specially makos).

Very good specific collection.

Auspex.......You tell me. I've been told that one or all of these could be Bird....

I'll take a wild stab at it, based solely on shape and proportion.

First pic: Top bone doesn't say "bird" to me, but the bottom one (in matrix) might be the distal end of a radius. If so, it could well be from a bird.

Second pic: Though the ends are eroded, it is shaped like a femur, though it is on the stout side for a bird's.

Third pic: Appears to be the proximal end of an avian humerus.

I know this is pretty vague (I feel like I just wrote a horoscope), but with my money-back guarantee, I couldn't stick my neck out any further on an opinion based on pictures B)

I'll take a wild stab at it, based solely on shape and proportion.

First pic: Top bone doesn't say "bird" to me, but the bottom one (in matrix) might be the distal end of a radius. If so, it could well be from a bird.

Second pic: Though the ends are eroded, it is shaped like a femur, though it is on the stout side for a bird's.

Third pic: Appears to be the proximal end of an avian humerus.

I know this is pretty vague (I feel like I just wrote a horoscope), but with my money-back guarantee, I couldn't stick my neck out any further on an opinion based on pictures B)

They're yours if you want them. I'm not to big into bird stuff.

John

They're yours if you want them. I'm not to big into bird stuff.

John

NOT INTO BIRD STUFF?!?

I'm gettin' dizzy...the room is spinning... :faint:

As I have no STH material at all, I'd be keenly interested :)

I'll have to insist on a trade, though. Is there something you'd like that you don't already have a drawerfull of?

Being a "silver pick" collector, I don't have much trading stock laying around, but I'm pretty good at acquiring it.

What'll ya' have? B)

Chas.

NOT INTO BIRD STUFF?!?

I'm gettin' dizzy...the room is spinning... :faint:

As I have no STH material at all, I'd be keenly interested :)

I'll have to insist on a trade, though. Is there something you'd like that you don't already have a drawerfull of?

Being a "silver pick" collector, I don't have much trading stock laying around, but I'm pretty good at acquiring it.

What'll ya' have? B)

Chas.

It's a gift. If I can offer a planus for free to whoever wants one then I can give you a fossil I have interest in. When I start my journey to fossil Zenith by digging in every state maybe you could show me a good place to collect in whatever state you live.....Deal? Just send me an e-mail with your address on it.

It's a gift. If I can offer a planus for free to whoever wants one then I can give you a fossil I have interest in. When I start my journey to fossil Zenith by digging in every state maybe you could show me a good place to collect in whatever state you live.....Deal? Just send me an e-mail with your address on it.

One of my best friends owns property at Stratford Harbor (VA), entitling him (and his guests) to full access to the best and most under-hunted exposures of the Calvert Formation. Not a land site, and no fire-zone, but the Megs are kinda' pretty. I'll leave the light on for you :)

PM to follow.

Sounds like a plan. I've never been there but I use to hunt Westmoreland on the Potomac and will definitely make it back your way in the next couple of years.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Auspex.......You tell me. I've been told that one or all of these could be Bird. I have included a list of the Bird Fuana that has been found there:

I think that middle bone may be a radius of a sea turtle. I don't seem to have a good reference for that, however.

Great stuff as usual, having some STH material myself, I really like those DARK ones. Don't see many of those.