fossilized6s

Congrats, Girquir that is a great fern you found there. It's always exciting having the nodule pop open and seeing such an amazing piece of history. Makes all the climbing, digging, walking and driving and time pay off! Great finds as always too, Fossilized6s. I hope to get out there real soon.

"Keep Looking Down"

"Work is experience, experience is knowledge, knowledge is confidence, confidence is a job well done!"

• 3 months later...

I haven't really been posting many of my finds in here lately, as most aren't unusual or spectacular. But I'm pretty proud of this guy. It's one of, if not my best Mazon Creek find to date. The preservation of this find is pretty great for Mazon. All of the fins are present and well preserved, as well as some scales still being present.

Elonichthys peltigerus

post-14584-0-56658700-1442549868_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-08405500-1442549881_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-52701300-1442549895_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-59587900-1442549910_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks, Roger.

Here are some of my more interesting and memorable finds this season.

A couple "Blades" Esconichthys apopyris

post-14584-0-25747600-1442558181_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-00689000-1442558195_thumb.jpg

A nice Horseshoe crab that I prepped out

post-14584-0-31218400-1442558206_thumb.jpg

A tiny seed (sporagia) baring fern

post-14584-0-31985500-1442558218_thumb.jpg

A good sized and decently preserved shrimp

post-14584-0-92668800-1442558231_thumb.jpg

One of my favorites, a Concavicaris georgeorum

post-14584-0-67070700-1442558242_thumb.jpg

A. Serlii with some R&R (Repair and Restoration)

post-14584-0-39014500-1442558891_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Very nice Charlie!

The spots on the fern will be Sporangia rather than seeds. This is where the spores are contained.

I don't know much about Mazon preservation, but I wonder if the spores wood be preserved? They are quite resistant.

Charlie,

I don't think they've invented a shade of green yet than can truly express my envy at that wonderful little fish--this'll have to do:

:envy:

A long way from Mazon Creek at the moment as I'm in the eastern Caribbean (St. Kitts & Nevis) at the moment finishing up running a training course on how to do coral reef surveys with locals from several eastern Caribbean islands. I leave here and only have a day at home to turn around for a survey trip to the Samana Peninsula of the Dominican Republic. My remaining nodules from this year are getting a good long soak in a bucket in my garage but I haven't been home long enough in the last month to be able to cycle any through my refrigerator. Starting in October I'll be home for a bit so I can attempt to start finding something in Charlie's league.

BTW: Loving that new avatar image.

-Ken

Thanks, Doc for correcting me. I'll have to throw her under the ol' scope and see what details are left. Unfortunately I think the chalky calcite will hinder that discovery.

Thanks, Ken. Hopefully next year I can show you some good spots at pit 11. Good luck on your trip/s.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

Amazing Finds, Charlie!!! :drool:

That Elonichthys is incredible!

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice work Charlie! Congratulations on your great season at Mazon. I'm looking forward to our last hurrah at the end of the month!!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Thanks, Tim.

Thanks, Rob. I'm looking forward to it. I unfortunately only went about six times this season. I think last season was three times that. Haha! Maybe next year will be better.

~Charlie~

Dang Charlie--anything still with the eyeballs is really very cool in my book. Your plant material aint too shabby either. Congrats! Chris

Thanks, Chris. It is pretty amazing that the eyes from these 300myo creatures are preserved.

~Charlie~

I just found my first Mazoglossus ramsdelli (acorn worm). It's preserved quite nicely and measures 27mm.

post-14584-0-41601200-1442724599_thumb.jpg

I also found an average preserved Hystriciola delicatula (baby tooth worm)

post-14584-0-40320400-1442724608_thumb.jpg

Not a bad night of crackin'

~Charlie~

I went for a hunt today. I found a ton of good unopened nodules and a few nice opened nods.

This is a big nugget of pyrite sculpted by Ma Nature. I'm calling it "Man bent over". ;)

post-14584-0-28133800-1442896441_thumb.jpg

I found a OK bit of Tully. It's my first example with a preserved mouth. Kinda cool.

post-14584-0-89755500-1442896450_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-05116700-1442896461_thumb.jpg

Large bivalve

post-14584-0-15059900-1442896473_thumb.jpg

Annularia

post-14584-0-65856600-1442896484_thumb.jpg

I don't normally keep Jellyfish anymore, but this is the largest bell I have ever seen! It measures a whopping 3 1/4" across!

post-14584-0-59854400-1442896494_thumb.jpg

And here's my trip maker. The pictures really don't do this guy justice. The preservation is really good AND it's my first example of this species. Kallidecthes richardsoni

post-14584-0-85035500-1442896505_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-86104500-1442896517_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Congrats on the K.richardsoni. The 2nd photo gives a good idea as to how well preserved it is. By the way, are you absolutely certain that Ma Nature's pyrite is a man :) ?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

You are on a roll Charlie.

Can't wait to get back home for more than a day so I can start cycling the nodules from this June. Still sitting for a nice long soak in a bucket in my garage. Need to clear off a shelf in my freezer and start chilling some batches of nods.

Keep 'em coming Charlie--amazed at what you are turning up.

Cheers.

-Ken

Congrats on the K.richardsoni. The 2nd photo gives a good idea as to how well preserved it is. By the way, are you absolutely certain that Ma Nature's pyrite is a man :) ?

Thanks, Roger.

Haha! I thought man, because we tend to have a more "conservative" tush (unlike our counterpart).

You are on a roll Charlie.

Can't wait to get back home for more than a day so I can start cycling the nodules from this June. Still sitting for a nice long soak in a bucket in my garage. Need to clear off a shelf in my freezer and start chilling some batches of nods.

Keep 'em coming Charlie--amazed at what you are turning up.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. I can't wait to see what you've found. Unfortunately, everything has changed at Fossil Rock. And now we have to walk back all the way from the front gate. Ugh....

~Charlie~

Unfortunately, everything has changed at Fossil Rock. And now we have to walk back all the way from the front gate. Ugh....

Yikes! My arms hurt just thinking about that trudge to the front gate loaded with nodules. Maybe by the time I get back up there next season sanity will prevail and we'll be able to park in back again.

Will be home later this week (for a couple of weeks anyway) and hopefully will be able to freeze-thaw cycle the remaining nodules from June.

-Ken

• 1 month later...

Wow, looking through this thread is amazing. These finds are awesome. Over the past several months I have really been bitten by the Mazon Creek bug...I have lived about a half hour away my whole life and before this year have went out a few times only to come up empty handed. A few months back I paid to do the I&M Heritage trip on the Mazon River, which I believe is the only place left you can get in situ nodules, was a great trip I found a lot of great ferns and met some great people. Then I have always wanted to go to Torino Hill so I decided to borrow a freinds boat and trek out there a few months ago. Went hunting with my freind Scott and had an awesome time hunting the Hill then exploring another island on Braidwood Lake. I found one fern and one decent Jelly. A few weeks later Scott took me to his spot he has been working and filled a half bucket after a few hours hunting. Got a bunch of cool worms! I need to pick up the Richardson book so I can ID them all but I am already reserving a week vacation for open season in March and cannot wait to go hunting again! I really like the idea of prospecting and exploring for nodules, I plan on spending a few days in the south unit with and without the kayak, going back to Torino Hill and exploring more spots on Braidwood Lake. I will also be going with Scott to his locale and I want to check out pit 2 at the campground.

Thanks!

Joe Terrell

post-4853-0-83228600-1448266014_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-64255300-1448266032_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-38522200-1448266045_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this an inviting place with lots of information and a great bunch of members.

If I lived half an hour from Mazon Creek my wife would never see me--and I'd need a storage unit (or two) for all my nodules. :D

Nodule popping is an addicting hobby--welcome to the addiction.

Cheers.

-Ken

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this an inviting place with lots of information and a great bunch of members.

If I lived half an hour from Mazon Creek my wife would never see me--and I'd need a storage unit (or two) for all my nodules. :D

Nodule popping is an addicting hobby--welcome to the addiction.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken! It's great to be here! I have a feeling my wife won't be too happy with me next year because I am planning on a lot of prospecting! Do you guys ever do group hunts?

Yup. Some of the TFF members up that way have been known to gather together for a group hunt. Did it last year for my birthday (I came up from Florida) and it was great fun. Tried it again this year but inclement weather (quite literally) rained on our parade. Hope to make it a semi-regular occurrence in the future.

Mazon Creek is a world-famous fossil site so take advantage of your proximity and get to know it well. Post nice close-up photos of your best finds as well (and interesting ones you are unsure of). I'd also suggest becoming a member of the Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois (ESCONI). Here is their website:

http://www.esconi.org/

You can pick up the Mazon Creek Fossil Flora/Fauna books from their website (or Amazon). They are packed with valuable information and are a must if you plan to pop nodules for a hobby. Also do a search of this forum for information on how to freeze/thaw pop unopened nodules.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for the tips Ken! I have the ESCONI book on the Fauna of Mazon Creek, and I am well learning the process of freeze thawing which is really testing my patience LOL. It reminds me of Geode hunting in Keokuk, they have that thrill factor where any nodule you hold could contain a museum quality specimen, and being the first person to ever see the creature and free them from thier ironstone tomb is quite a rush. I just got back from Florida! Really wanted to hunt the Peace River but we were to busy in Disney! I have three daughters 6mo, 4 and 6

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been cycling through my nodules as I usual do. But I've had some nice ones pop.

My smallest fern so far.

post-14584-0-92643600-1449855848_thumb.jpg

And ironically, one of my biggest so far

post-14584-0-98650600-1449855870_thumb.jpg

And almost my longest.

post-14584-0-73438400-1449855859_thumb.jpg

Some different species of fern

post-14584-0-27037800-1449855883_thumb.jpg

A nice Annularia. I like the color contrast on this piece.

post-14584-0-33426000-1449855893_thumb.jpg

And my best so far this winter. A nice Horseshoe crab. It broke into pieces, so I had to glue it back together, then prep it from the top (like a West coast crab). Mazon Creek nodules are the hardest material I've prepped so far. It's high in iron and pyrite, it's crazy hard!

post-14584-0-32956300-1449855903_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~