Volunteer Opportunities

Please add any volunteer opportunities that you become aware of to this thread; we can thereby showcase the range of ways anyone can help an institution (and learn a lot in the process) :)

I kick it off with one such in the news today:

"The Smithsonian Institution wants the public's help to digitize museum collections faster to make them available to researchers online."

>LINK<

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great idea, Chas!

Here are a few in Connecticut.

Dinosaur State Park

Yale-Peabody Museum

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Please add any volunteer opportunities that you become aware of to this thread; we can thereby showcase the range of ways anyone can help an institution (and learn a lot in the process) :)

I kick it off with one such in the news today:

"The Smithsonian Institution wants the public's help to digitize museum collections faster to make them available to researchers online."

>LINK<

Currently on this Smithsonian site are several field journal transcription projects, including one for Charles D. Walcott "detailed descriptions of geographic sections, stone types, color, texture, and fossils found."

Great link, Auspex!

Those of us who live close to a scientific institution can always find volunteer opportunities to keep us busy. This Smithsonian Institution project is wonderful, in that it gives folks who might live a long way from anywhere a chance to help out. Looks like they particularly need people who are good a deciphering other people's handwriting in old field books.

The director of collections at PRI heard about this crowdsourcing project, so it's on our list to be investigated, in the category of "sounds great--how can we do it?" :)

www.zooniverse.org

There is always something here for anyone and everyone. I used to do the seafloor explorer and the plankton portal but with fossils there has been very little time.

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the zooniverse.org website. With all the different topics, I can think of something for everyone. I've been telling my friends to check it out. :)

They keep adding new projects all the time. Everything from penguin counting to seastar tracking to WW2 diary recovery.