Green Mill Run

jpwhite82

Earlier this week I had to go to Greenville for work so I decided to scout out Green Mill Run! I didn't know what to expect since a lot of what I have read about the site said it is picked over. That being said I came prepared just to do some surface collecting in the creek bed. The first spot that I checked out along the creek was off of Elm Street. This spot was more difficult to access the creek and the pickings were slim. All I found here were some bone fragments (probably whale) and some belemnite fossils. I then decided to go and check out spots around Green Springs Park. I was happy to find the access to the creek was much easier and the hunting was actually quite good. Now I didn't find any big teeth like we all dream about finding but I did pull in a good number of small to medium sized teeth along with other fossils (which you can see below). For me, one of the most exciting aspects was finding Crow Shark teeth. Most of the collecting I have done over the years were at various beaches along the southeast US and I have never found any while hunting. There also seemed to be plenty of either Goblin or Sand Tiger teeth that I recovered as well (I'm still working on trying to tell them apart). Besides fossils I also found Native American pottery sheds. I'm hoping to take a small group of kids there in a few months to teach them to hunt since it seems that there is still plenty of fossils to be found. I'll be sure to post closer pictures of individual fossils, probably this weekend once I start trying to ID them.

post-4157-0-10546300-1408048089_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpwhite82

You have proven unequivocally that this creek still 'gives up her dead'!

I hope it's as generous when you bring the kids :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You can always find something there but unless you get lucky the really nice stuff takes persistence and a lot of time.

Nice finds! We visited here a couple weeks ago but the water was high due to rain :( I need to head back down there soon to pick up my Explorer (which had died last trip) from the mechanic. Going to try and hit the run when I get there!