Autograph Collection

tmaier

post-16101-0-96606800-1408120859_thumb.jpg

Scientists act a bit puzzled when people ask them for an autograph. Always bring your own pen and just shove the paper and pen at them, and say, "Right here, please." :D

The only autographs they normally sign are on check paper when the bills come due.

I got the Ron Fox autograph in an elevator and had him trapped, he wasn't going to walk away.

Stephen Gould was at a book signing.

Francis Crick was giving a lecture, and the only thing I could find was Watson's book. Crick was pretty unhappy about signing somebody else's book, But I didn't let him get away. Like I said, have the pen and paper in hand and push... Unfortunately this paper has high acid content so it is "burning" away over the decades.

The Horner autograph I got by sending a self addressed and stamped envelope with the paper (assuming he could find a pen by himself). It took a couple months, but I got it back signed. I found a green "lizard skin" frame and it looks way cool.

So, add to your collection by getting some autographs.

That's a real good idea. I have a couple autographs but they are in books that were owned by the Paleontologist like John Wyatt Durham.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Book collectors don't like it when pages are cut out and it grossly devalues the book, but I'd rather have it as a wall hanging where I can see it.

Another source of autographs might be to buy them, but I've never tried that. I prefer to collect them in the wild. Stalking scientists can be quite the challenge, they are commonly mistaken for normal people. You have to look in the right formations. :)

I have "The Double Helix" signed by Watson, met him in 2009 at Cold Spring Harbor where I was presenting a poster on my research, luckily I had his book in my backpack (wishful thinking, i was hoping i would run into him and luckily it worked!). He was very pleasant and spent a few minutes going over my data and discussing my phd thesis project! For a young grad student, that was a fantastic experience!

I wanted to send my signed title page to Watson for a signature, but chickened out. I was afraid I might not get it back.

Well that's weird, it's like you have one half of the dollar bill and I have the other half.

I should go get another copy of "Double Helix" and give the postal method a try.

My son is just starting his sophomore year in college and has a declared major of biochem. I showed him your resume as an example of a good ladder to climb, if he wanted to. He will be approaching it from the chem angle, as opposed to the biology angle, but he hopes to arrive at molecular biology, or there abouts. He is still 18 and who knows what might happen.

Right now he is distracted with teenage stuff...

Ah cool! Well, in a few years' time I should have my own lab (fingers crossed!), he'd be welcome to do a research stint :)

I would never cut a page out from any book and since the autographs are in books, they won't fade in the sunlight and the books are also full of their personal notes. I'm not much of a stalker but mailing them a letter to sign sounds okay. ;)

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Yeah, if it was their personal book, then I agree that the book should stay together as a whole package.

It really rips me to take pages out of books, because I have a high regard for books. One of my hobbies is antique book restoration. It always makes me feel good when I take a pile of junk and turn it back into a readable book again.

Well, you have to stalk them a bit. You need proper camoflauge and some salt licks also help. Study their feeding habits and look for trails. A thorough understanding of your game will increase your chances of success. A grant application on the end of string sometimes works.

Edited by tmaier

Great and unique collection! I collect some autographed books and niche rare books myself, but have been mostly focussed on art books and art exhibition programs, plus some classic antique books about warriors & martial arts, and some autographed fight sports memorabilia books or programs.

However I have always been intrigued by the idea of owning a rare Darwin's autographed book Origin of Species (hey I can dream too, haha). Other than that impossible dream object, the new Heteromorph limited edition book autographed by Wolfgang Grulke is really appealing since it's kinda like an art book in itself. Although I would also love to have an autographed auction catalogue of Sotheby's with T-Rex Sue on cover autographed by Sue Hendrickson as well. :P Since in my opinion this was probably one of the key moments (for better or for worse) of commercial paleontology and the fossil market in general.

Edited by AJ Plai

I'm not much of an autograph hound but I did get Don Johanson to sign a copy of Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind and (not at the same time, thank God) managed to get Richard Leakey to autograph my copy of Origins. For the tropical fish enthusiasts among you, I also picked up an autographed copy of one of Herbert Axelrod's books. One of my prized possessions is an autographed 1922 Edition of Theodore Roosevelt's Through the Brazilian Wilderness in pristine condition that I picked up cheap at an estate sale back in the early 1980s.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Here's one I would like to have, especially signed!

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

tmaier, I greatly admire your display of autographs of persons of Science. In decorating one wall of my lair I have taken an akin; but slightly less cerebral approach. The likeness and autographs of 30s through 60s era, burlesque performers are displayed there. The object currently beneath the Zoomscope is a partially prepped, partial skull and lower of an Oreodont.

post-8873-0-26123600-1408136747_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

What a collection.

I like the Picaso on the door. :D

And I really envy the microscope. Do you have a way of making images through it?

And not everything I have is cerebral... notice the "Harry Potter" and "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" books on my shelf. :D

What a collection.

I like the Picaso on the door. :D

And I really envy the microscope. Do you have a way of making images through it?

Yes, the door art is left over from when my now grown daughter controlled this space as her "playroom." It was produced when she was about nine. I've never had a thought of removing it.

I have recently acquired a connecting tube and hardware that will allow my DSLR to mount to one of the 'scopes eyepiece tubes. It is untried as yet, but I hope great things from it.

I had already spotted the Douglas Adams on your shelf. My Forum signature line carries one of his observations, that I find very descriptive of Humankind.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The "Harry Potter" books are left over from when my son was young. I started out reading volume #1 to him as a bedtime story, but as he got older it turned into a competition. He and I would rush down to the bookstore, each buy a copy, and then see who finished the book first. By the final volumes, he was beating me.

Barnes & Noble held a book release party and they were not allowed to sell the new books until midnight. Kids and adults came dressed as their favorite characers. My son went as Harry Potter, but he has red curly hair, and some kid walked up to him and said

What are you supposed to be?

I'm Harry Potter!

Your not a Potter! You look like a Wheezly!

My son was very upset and I had trouble supressing my laughter. :D