Sea Turtle

Brian Worley

• 3 weeks later...

Correction, this may not be a Protostega turtle it remains a puzzle to to experts. As soon as I find out I will post it. I found it in Ek (= Eocene age, Kincaid Formation) or Ewp (= Eocene age, Wills Point Formation

Edited by Brian Worley

Protostega is a Cretaceous beast. You say you found it in Eocene rocks. Hmmmmm....... How much is known about Eocene marine turtles? This could be an important specimen.

Museum tend to want you to donated it before they tell you what it is.

That hasn't been my experience with SMU (distant past) or the Perot (recent past-current). I do tent to donate a bunch of fossils to the Perot but they are always helpful whether or not I give them the fossils. Dr. Tykoski is always up for a challenge. Just ask him about some of the fossils I have brought in for identification.

As a museum professional, I totally disagree with this statement. At our museum, we are happy to ID things for folks. And due to the lack of grammar, I am not sure if you mean all museums or just the Perot museum.... ?

Brian Worley, on 26 Aug 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my statement it was not my intention. I was upset because a museum wanted it before I'd. I have donated things to SMU. The museum I speaking with now is very professional.

I'll delete that now

Edited by Brian Worley

Thanks for posting here Brian.

A museum or any institution is not really in the ID business *per say* but they ID things out of courtesy or interest in the fossil. They'd like to have a good collection of reference material just like many of us fossil hunters.

I would think your turtle would at least get looked at to make determination of family or genus and it's place in time and geology.

If they think it's a new species or a temporal range extension then it might get bumped up in the list of things to study.

The old reference "The Fossil Turtles of North America" is free online at Google archive if I didn't mention before.

Hopefully a turtle expert here will chime in.

Edited by LanceH
  • I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I try to educate myself on the timescale and locations, I have discovered a conflict. If indeed this is a sea turtle as noted and was found in the Cenozoic Timescale. This turtle should not be there? k2 Navarrow and Taylor is further west

The reason I still have it is that I'm still collecting pieces.

post-16273-0-96262300-1413281183_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Worley

geo maps may not show what is exposed in every river valley and quarry. Older deposits are found at such locations. In our area for instance there may be 50 feet of eocene over the cretaceous. The area would be mapped as eocene.

• I found this Informative 1

geo maps may not show what is exposed in every river valley and quarry. Older deposits are found at such locations. In our area for instance there may be 50 feet of eocene over the cretaceous. The area would be mapped as eocene.

I think you may be right. Cretaceous topped with Eocene. Just two miles north of me they estimate 37,000 years old when they dug the lake. It would be nice to have a fossil site in your back yard, but after miles of searching the shore I've found nothing but this fossil.

Edited by Brian Worley

Very nice find! Looking forward to seeing what the ID ends up being. We find lots of Plio-Pleistocene pieces down here but nothing that articulated. Regards, Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I can't tell you how many people I've met across the country on this one fossil it's been exciting. The one thing I wanted to point out in this post is the ribs are not fused to the vertebra. This may not even be a turtle. Has anyone seen a three part vertebra

post-16273-0-25965100-1415376647_thumb.jpg