Cretaceous Bird

Mike from North Queensland

A little while ago I found another bird bone from my spot.

This piece is in the matrix and will stay as is until I send it to the Museum with the other handful of specimens.

The question is if this piece is diagnostic enough in the matrix to work out where in the skeleton it comes from

There are two small holes in the unbroken end that have me intrigued.

Thanks in advance

Mike D

post-4980-0-23172500-1409480442_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-17175000-1409480460_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-59512400-1409480480_thumb.jpg

That's a poser...

What is the scale of it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ah, tiny; that 'splains the relative thickness of the walls.

Maybe, and without seeing the articular end prepped out, we could be seeing the dorsal side of the proximal end of a pedal phalanx (toe bone).

I sure would like to see that surface!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Auspex I did find a couple of toe bones and this one looks nothing like them. I have attached a couple more views one from each side and an end view but because of the size I can only focus on one part but that may give an idea of the end profile. With me getting a new computer a short while back I still need to transfer photos across to the new machine so will try to get that done to get other associated bones. For scale my guess the bird would have been the size of a small pigeon.

Mike D

post-4980-0-46685500-1409558671_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-47747700-1409558684_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-63622400-1409558700_thumb.jpg

I was expecting a fairly non descript bone end but I am now hoping this may be diagnostic. this is all still the same 10 mm bone.

Will be away for work this week so unsure if I will get on the internet. Worst thing is that I will drive past a lot of fossil sits

and most likely not get a chance to stop and look as the schedule is too tight.

Thanks again for looking

Mike

post-4980-0-56695300-1410089755_thumb.jpg

My best guess at the moment is that it might be the beat-up distal end of a coracoid???

Is the shaft somewhat triangular in the marked cross section?

post-423-0-29908600-1410123834_thumb.jpg

I wonder whether it is the articular surface of the furcula, looks pretty much like it.

This is also a good possibility. I'd love to get an in-hand, 3-D sense of it.

I have just got back from my little drive for work 1600 km all through the Cretaceous fossil country and no time to stop and fossick.

Only time for a quick stop at Kronosarus Korner in Richmond for a quick chat at lunch time.

Auspex the cross section is uniform in thickness so the only clue may be where the bone is not worn on the end.

PrettyBird I don't think its a furcula as there is no evidence of bone joining on either side.

Pictures of comparative bird bones of the correct age is a bit scarce but I am now leaning toward a worn ulna.

Hi Mike. i meant the part that articulates with the coracoid (i.e. the ''free'' bit), not the sternal bit where the two clavicles would join. that articulation facet that you show in the photo where you hold the bone with tweezers looks like the facet in the clavicle that articulates with the coracoid - i attach an image (especially the second and third). mind you the overall shape of this element varies quite a bit within living birds, as you can see. alternatively the articulation surface of a sternal rib may look similar. yes comparative material that age is scarce, you should maybe check within enantiornithine birds, they are known in the Cretaceous of Australia. hopefully you'll get more material :) cheers.

bird_furculas.jpg