Possible Fossil.....?

Shari93312

A lady told me this was a fossil and to take it to the Museum so I could find out what kind. I know nothing about fossils and I would feel silly if I took it there and it did not even remotely resemble what a fossil would look like.... Any opinions would be appreciated.

post-16408-0-52069100-1409952024_thumb.jpg

post-16408-0-76784500-1409952091_thumb.jpg

The only think I can suggest that it reminds me of fossilwise is a cast of a piece of a tree trunk.

Not petrified wood per se, but the in-filled void left when a buried tree rotted away.

Other than that...???

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On the second photo it also seems to show an inner and outer layer. The photo seems to have a smeared focus (no proper focal plane). A sharper look at that end might yield more info.

Looks more volcanic to me. Did this lady offer any reason why she thought it was a fossil? Where was it found?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Can you use a different camera and take more pictures? Especially take a picture of the end of the specimen.

I think the camera you used for these photos has a smeared focal plane, meaning you probably can't get a crisp photo at any distance, so try another camera.

Without more details, I think people have hit a dead end here.