Wanted To Share And Could Use Some Id Help.

lissa318

Made a friend recently that seems to have an endless supply of agates, geodes and any other slabs you could want from all over. The first ones I want to share are ocean jasper and this first one is my favorite! :D

post-8801-0-33404300-1410383191_thumb.jpg

Some more ocean jaspers...

Edited by lissa318

Looking for ID's on these 2 and have quite a few others... :)

post-8801-0-06253500-1410383395_thumb.jpg

ID's 1 and 2

Edited by lissa318

If it kinda looks like bacon, but doesn't smell like bacon at all... It's???

post-8801-0-57594500-1410383542_thumb.jpg

ID #3

And appreciate any help or comments. :)

Edited by lissa318

mmmm, bacon!

they all look great! that's a good friend to have, haha!

Agree and who doesn't love bacon?! ;) I sure do!!! And these 2 are brazilian agates... :)post-8801-0-95016700-1410385227_thumb.jpg

post-8801-0-33558000-1410386433_thumb.jpg

ID #4

It looks like you could feel the grooves by touch but it's perfectly flat... A little similar to the bacon piece? lol. :)

Bacon!

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

:)

I swear both my dogs ears perked up when I read that?! And now they just keep saying "it's bacon" over and over again... Thanks for opening that can up Missourian!!! Hahaha. :D Should I label it as bacon then??? *befuddled* lol. ;) Edited by lissa318

"....I can't read!!!"

Loved that ad.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Most, if not all, appear to be silica of some form. Silicious rocks form by crystal formation in pore spaces and/or by alteration of some other types of rock (or by some process that I can't think of or am not aware of. :) ). Unless there is some remaining structure (bedding, fossils, cellular structure, etc.), id's can be difficult to sort out. Your best bet would be to ask someone who deals with lapidary material. Many of the pieces may be unique to certain locations, and they may be able to help you narrow down an id and location.

Context is critical.

Most, if not all, appear to be silica of some form. Silicious rocks form by crystal formation in pore spaces and/or by alteration of some other types of rock (or by some process that I can't think of or am not aware of. :) ). Unless there is some remaining structure (bedding, fossils, cellular structure, etc.), id's can be difficult to sort out. Your best bet would be to ask someone who deals with lapidary material. Many of the pieces may be unique to certain locations, and they may be able to help you narrow down an id and location.

Thanks Missourian! I figured I'd try here first. I posted 3 this afternoon on the Rockhound Connection group on facebook and got the response I feared. The blue green one is fluorite or a green quartz. ID # 1 I asked for above is petrified wood (??? Uhhh, I don't think so...) and ID # 5 above is wood or coprolite?!?! Hahaha. Oh well. There is a rockhound group fairly close I really should join... :)