Mineral Wells/lake Jacksboro Trip

RyanNREMTP

Oh I know the quarry you're talking about, Polly has been working on the managers to get us in there but it's unlikely. Thanks for getting that gate open, it saves us a climb getting into the borrow area.

I would too. Sadly I won't be able to attend the DPS trip up there this month. I have another event planned for that day. I do intend to go to the others in Midlothian if possible.

Thanks for looking.

The walk to the site is more like a 1/2 mile. If you can bring a bicycle that would be easier going.

Along the south end between the trail and and where it drops off into the lake is the remains of a Myalina oyster reef.

post-11-0-96988800-1411008266_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceH

Good finds Ryan! I just started sorting out my finds and taking some pictures myself, I will post them soon.

Thanks to you and jeepinthemud for coming out! Glad you guys had some good finds at lake Jacksboro! I had a bit of a misadventure on the way back, one of my tires blew out, so between that and the ride back, it was good that I got an early start back home!

Hope to see you soon on another trip :) I'll try to plan a Waco trip.

• I found this Informative 1

Also look at Knightites (Cymatospira) which shows up as a possible synonym.

If you compare Knightites with Patellostium on this page http://imgur.com/a/eilm4 the Knightites seems more narrow than the more globular Patellostium. They are otherwise very similar. The odd thing about Ryan's sample is how the transverse plications are staggered at the slit band instead of lined up like mine and others. I wonder if that occurs with maturity or just randomly.

• I found this Informative 1

Fantastic I think! I've recently hit Post Oak creek and came away with my first shark tooth. Never been to Mineral Wells but off tomorrow. Good Lord willin and the creek down rise, I'll make my first trip there tomorrow. Anyone else heading out there tomorrow?

here are some of the fossils (the non-crinoid stuff) that I found at mineral wells. Identification tips would be much appreciated!

bryozoa (upper right) and part of a trilobite (pygidium - lower left) from Mineral Wells Fossil Park

brachiopod from Mineral Wells Fossil Park

bryozoa from Mineral Wells Fossil Park

Edited by hashemdbouk

I believe you got the IDs right except the ones you labeled bivalve are brachiopods.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Will fix them asap