Going To Utah!

collectionaire

• New Members

Hello everyone,

Myself and 5 friends are heading to Utah in a week and I'd like to inquire about where (around Moab) there may be promising areas for observing/collecting fossils.

Arches National Park and Canyonlands Park are on the list but no specific locations have been established for a focus on fossils.

I have a plan to visit the Mill Canyon Dino Trail north of Moab and a small outcrop on the way into Arches, but other than that we've come up with little else.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Health & Wealth

Jason

Just don't collect within the park...it's a federal offence to remove anything from a national park.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'm sorry to report that there isn't many fossils in that part of the state for collecting besides petrified wood. There are some vague rumors of marine fossils but that's not that promising. There are various Dino-tracks around the area though. Also I agree with caldigger.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

If you are a mineral/rock collector there is prolific amounts of agate there and I have a few locations on that.

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Yep mancos shale is probably your best investment. There are abundant fossil sites but unfortunately pretty much all the vert material on state land is protected, many of the sites are scientifically important and being studied. You would need access to private land in the right areas. Much of the sandstone has abundant and beautiful petrified wood, I've mapped some in the Poison Strip part of the Cedar Mountain formation. There are some great petroglyphs around that area too, something you should check for sure!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

• New Members

If you are a mineral/rock collector there is prolific amounts of agate there and I have a few locations on that.

I guess its going to be pet wood and agate week :-)

I spent a lot of time during the summers of the early 90's in Utah, especially the Moab area. When you don't know what to do, you go to the Moab Rock Shop. It's right on the main road through town on your left as you approach from the north. Yeah, all around Moab is BLM or otherwise restricted land so you need to ask at the rock shop where to go or go on the tour they offer. There's a site where you used to be able to pick up red horn corals (Rico Formation, Pennsylvanian, I think) - not sure if you can still go there.

Hello everyone,

Myself and 5 friends are heading to Utah in a week and I'd like to inquire about where (around Moab) there may be promising areas for observing/collecting fossils.

Arches National Park and Canyonlands Park are on the list but no specific locations have been established for a focus on fossils.

I have a plan to visit the Mill Canyon Dino Trail north of Moab and a small outcrop on the way into Arches, but other than that we've come up with little else.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Health & Wealth

Jason