From Mt Juliet, Tn (2)

Lisa Zins

Here is another fossil. The picture without the tape measure was taken w/the canon camera. The picture with the tape measure was taken with my cell phone camera. I didnt crop the 2nd picture because it has a lot of fossil pieces and I wasnt sure if any of them went with the larger object (which is the one Im wondering about). I dont know if this rock is from the Mt Juliet or Nashville construction site. I assume it probably doesnt matter since both sites are fairly close (maybe 20-25 miles apart). Thank you once again!! Have a good afternoon.

post-16522-0-18531300-1411586592_thumb.jpg

post-16522-0-77293600-1411586633_thumb.jpg

Speak without offending, Listen without defending. (??)

The older I get, The better I was. (On a T-Shirt)

Seeing isnt believing, Believing is seeing. (The Santa Clause Movie)

That is a bryozoan

Yep, pieces of a bryozoan

You guys are quick!! Thank You! So are all the pieces seen in the rock bryozoan?? Or can you see some of them?? I googled "bryozoan" and it shows a lot of different items. How do you know what one? I mean, what piece of fossil goes with what actual bryozoan. I saw a "screw" like object in one picture (think I have a few of those), but I didnt see that object on a picture that had several bryozoans (a pict that was showing what they looked like when they were alive). I see a lot of branch like objects in a lot of the rocks along with different shells. I cant imagine how many different species there are! And since I know nothing about fossils.....I could be asking for months what an object is and they'll probably all be from the same thing!

Speak without offending, Listen without defending. (??)

The older I get, The better I was. (On a T-Shirt)

Seeing isnt believing, Believing is seeing. (The Santa Clause Movie)

Bryozoans come in a bewildering variety; sheets, sticks, buttons... It takes knowing what formation they came from to get close, and sometimes microscopic scrutiny to get closer.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The first one is from a branching stick-like species. It was probably once "Y" shaped , but it has been split length-wise; that's where/why you see a fan-like pattern on the lower 2/3rds of the fossil.:

2014-09-23_10-09-13.jpg

the rounded part on top is where another branch went off in another direction

Edited by John K

and I should add that the little Cheerio shaped thing right above the 1" mark is more than likely a crinoid stem segment. Stacks of these things made up the animals stalk, and supported the calyx on top (sort of a flower looking thing - think Sea Lilly).

fossil2.jpg

I think I also see some coral and a small piece of a crinoid stem. Fairly typical slab of middle Tennessee limestone. Keep looking you may find part of a trilobite.

I would guess that the thingy sticking up right next to the number "1" on the scale is a branching coral, worn and broken. But I also see what looks like bryozoa covering a lot of it, including some of the coral.

And there are some crinoid stems and pieces of brachiopod shell.