Conodont Conundrum

gturner333

I have found the attached fossils that look somewhat like conodont elements. But, the formation doesn't fit. I believe that conodonts died out in the Triassic and these were all found in Cretaceous. Any ideas as to what they may be?

The other V-shaped fossils were also found in some Denton Clay Formation in North Texas. They remind me of Dicoelosia brachiopods. But, once again, the time frame is wrong. Dicoelosia lived in the Ordovician and Devonian while I found these in cretaceous. Any ideas as to their ID?

Thanks for your assistance.

post-11358-0-95823400-1411605192_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-56098200-1411605208_thumb.jpg

The v- shaped fossils are terminal ossicles from starfish. In life, the groove at the bottom would lead to the tiny eyespot at the end of the arm.

• I found this Informative 1

Here are two terminal ossicles that I collected from the Eocene Castle Hayne Formation. I was hoping an expert could identify the species based on shape and size of these ossicles but I was told that there is too much variation in morphology within a species for them to be diagnostic.

post-2301-0-47299400-1411641979_thumb.jpg

Nice finds gturner333. I hope you find out what those first items are. (I am going to keep an eye out for them in my micro Cretaceous matrix.) They are intriguing. The ossicles are neat, so much variation.

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Interesting pieces. And you're right, conodonts were extinct by the Cretaceous.

I wonder if they might be fish scales or something similar? Just a speculation, I don't know a lot about Cretaceous micros.

How big are they? And were the associated fossils (I assume there are some) marine or terrestrial?

these fossils are all in the 1mm - 3mm range. The associated fossils are mostly marine.

The conodont-looking (they do look like conodont elements, don't they?) occure in at least 3 different locations - all cretaceous. I thought that they may be geological, but they are so similar and occur often in multiple locations. They have to be something!

Thanks, Al on the ossicles tip. I would have never guessed it.

They do resemble a platform-type conodont element, but yours don't show any denticles that I can see. The conodont elements that I've found were all in the submillimeter to 1 mm range. I've also never seen one that looks quite like your pieces, but my experience is fairly limited; I've only worked with Devonian conodonts.

It'll be interesting to see what they actually are!

Any chance they could be sea star ossicles?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple conodont elementspost-2520-0-05327800-1444694386_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-97789200-1444694422_thumb.jpg from the Ordovician, 1-1.5 mm long.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hi,

Herb, what is the size of each compartment please ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Standard 60 count grid microfossil slide, about 3.5 mm on a side.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Hi,

Thanks Herb, nice pics for little size !

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi Coco,

take a look at my post " cell phone microscope" and see what decent pictures can be taken with a cell phone and a $10 add on camera attachment.

Hi,

About which pic do you speak ? If it is about the comment #3, I have never seen an otolith with a "lumpy" surface as here.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

I had thought of otoliths as well in the first pic of the original post, but I agree with Coco, the mid ridge is too pronounced.

Check out Coco's otolith page at the bottom of her post.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

With regard to the first photograph, and the fossils in the center running from left to right, they appear to me to be foraminifera. I'm sorry but I can't help you with genus ID but you may want to refer to this publication; "Upper Cretaceous Foraminifera of the Gulf Coastal Region and Adjacent Areas" by Joseph A. Cushman, and published as US Geological Survey Professional Paper 206. Shown below is a similiar foram I collected from the Corsicana Formation near San Antonio that shows the trilateral or triangular crossection. This fossil is about 2 mm in length.

Jim

post-8-0-54939400-1445191442_thumb.jpg

The Eocene is my favorite

they are not otoliths

Edited by Herb