Spathacalymene From The Massie Formation

piranha

A new paper by Thomka and Brett caught my attention.

The exotic trilobite Spathacalymene is now listed exclusively in the Massie Formation instead of the Osgood Fm. 

Tillman 1960 needs an asterisk and it's time to make a new label if you have a Spathacalymene in your collection!

emo73.gif :P

"Much of the stratigraphy of the Napoleon quarry has traditionally been classified as a single unit, the Osgood Formation (Foerste 1897), which Pinsak & Shaver (1964) later downgraded to the lower member of the Salamonie Dolomite, overlain by the Laurel Member. However, in the light of recent high-resolution stratigraphical research that has demonstrated persistence of easily recognizable sedimentary bodies throughout the greater Cincinnati Arch region, an updated lithostratigraphical terminology has been applied to southeastern Indiana (Brett et al. 2012a). The term Salamonie Dolomite was rejected entirely within Ripley County and the ‘Laurel Member’ was returned to full formational status (Fig. 3A). The former ‘Osgood Member’ was split into three individual formation-rank units. The term Osgood Formation was reestablished and restricted to the former ‘lower Osgood shale’ (Fig. 3A), and the former ‘upper Osgood carbonate’ minus the uppermost bed was renamed using Ohio lithostratigraphical terminology to become the Lewisburg Formation (Fig. 3). Likewise, the former ‘upper Osgood shale’ plus the underlying carbonate bed was termed the Massie Formation (Fig. 3)."

IMG1.jpg

Thomka, J.R., & Brett, C.E. (2014)
Palaeontological and sedimentological effects of micro‐bioherms in the Middle Silurian Massie Formation of southeastern Indiana, USA.
Lethaia, 48(2):172-187

Brett, C.E., Cramer, B.D., McLaughlin, P.I., Kleffner, M.A., Showers, W.J. & Thomka, J.R. (2012a)
Revised Telychian-Sheinwoodian (Silurian) stratigraphy of the Laurentian mid-continent: Building uniform nomenclature along the Cincinnati Arch.
Czech Bulletin of Geosciences, 87:733-753

Tillman, C.G. (1960)
Spathacalymene, An unusual new Silurian trilobite genus.
Journal of Paleontology, 34(5):891-895

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for the change scott. I have collected this quarry but was skunked on Spathys. Will have to go back in the spring and try again!

Do you mind telling me when you decide to go? I'd love to tag along since I am finally old enough, if that'd be okay.

Scott,

Thank you for the update. I don't think I've ever found any trilos (mostly just collected the Holocystites bed) but this paper will be helpful for cataloging the collection.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/