Strange Marsupial Bone I Think!

Budgie B

Hi there,

I found some very nice fossils of what I think is a marsupial tapia and I also have some that I can't I'd!

I would love some info if anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Very new and inexperienced to all this!

Regards Pete

post-16700-0-96913500-1413338565_thumb.jpg

Looks like it could be a chunk of Diprotodon vertebra, post some more pics and a scale bar and I will have a go at an ID for you.

Hi there,

I found some very nice fossils of what I think is a marsupial tapia and I also have some that I can't I'd!

I would love some info if anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Very new and inexperienced to all this!

Regards Pete

I have looked at a lot of skeletons to try and I'd this but have not found anything

That comes even close. It's very hard to view just looking at the photos.post-16700-0-38244000-1413341932_thumb.jpgpost-16700-0-38244000-1413341932_thumb.jpgpost-16700-0-38244000-1413341932_thumb.jpg

Well I reckon you need to go see your local museum but here's my thoughts...

The first bone is almost definitely a Diprotodon fragment, the sheer size of it is a giveaway and I have seen my fair share of these busted verts.

Here are a couple of pics of a cervical D.optatum vert for comparison. Your chunk is the pre and post zygapophyses (think I spelt that right) which articulate to the next vertebra (your section shown across the ruler). post-12001-0-08395700-1413344186_thumb.jpgpost-12001-0-65814400-1413344202_thumb.jpg

your other bits are kangaroo lower incisors, very likely an extinct species. To the museum for you!

Good finds!

Edited by tooth_claw

Thanks for your help,

I will defiantly get them to a museum at some stage! And get a ID on them.

I have studied the very limited amount of photos that are available on the net of the Palorchestes Azael

And from what I can see the top front teeth that i have are a dead set ringer for mine and I have not seen any clear photos of Azaels lower incisors,they seem very rare but I think that is what I may have. This new photo shoes the top teeth of a marsupial much larger than a kangaroo. So I am still thinking they are all from the Azael.

Thanks again for any thoughts

post-16700-0-66669400-1413349963_thumb.jpg

My local experts reckon that this is the left maxilla of Procoptodon goliah, the giant kangaroo (explains why the teeth are so large).

So you have found the biggest marsupial ever and the biggest kangaroo ever in one go. I personally reckon that this is an awesome find! Congrats!

If you want to PM me, I can put you in contact with someone who can verify the species and inform you on how to proceed- you may have found a new pleistocene fossil site.

Once again thanks for your input into this puzzle of mine it's great fun trying to solve.

However I do find it very difficult to agree with you that these teeth belong to Procoptodon Goliah because the molars are 1" square looking down on the top view of them. and from the crown to the bottom of the root they are 1" 1/2 long. about the same size as a full grown cow. I have all the top teeth (left side and right,)

So in saying that if you still think it is a giant kangaroo, well guys you are much better at this than me so I will go with you on this! But I would like to note that Sir Richard Owen first thought that the Palorchestes Azael was a giant kangaroo too! Before more bones were found.

I will post a better photo of the molars and I apologise for my lack of commuter skills because I haven't worked out how to post more then one photo at a time yet but I will slowly get there I hope!

Yeah and if anyone has a good photo of the bottom incisors of the palochestes I would love to see them! cheers post-16700-0-86562600-1413384065_thumb.jpg

post-16700-0-75630100-1413384459_thumb.jpg

post-12001-0-86959100-1413414731_thumb.jpgHere's a photo of Palorchestes azael maxilla for a quick comparison, the details of the swirls and bumps on the crown of the tooth are the diagnostic bits. Your teeth are much more complex in this aspect than Palorchestes.

Here is a good image of Procoptodon teeth for you as well.

post-12001-0-75126900-1413416345_thumb.jpg

Also, I am impressed with the amount of the skull that you got in the last photo, be worth a look around for more of it I reckon!

Wow! Yeah mate I can see what you mean now. It was the size of the teeth that threw me. I have a skull of a very large grey kangaroo and the teeth of my Procoptodon are 100% larger then the grey Kangaroos, so it just puts it into perspective how big these giant marsupials really were! So I will take your advice and keep looking for more bones when I have some spare time!

So thank you very much for your help and I will let you know how I get on.

Regards Budgie

You know it's kind of ironic that I had all my wisdom teeth out a few days ago and all I have thought of since are bloody TEETH !!

Awesome find Budgie, I love Australian Pleistocene mega fauna. very cool

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

Thanks for your response Mike, Yeah Fossicking for Megafauna has gone to the top of the list for me at the moment! So much to do so little time... That's the only problem.

I have some more goodies I have found and will do some research on the new bones over the weekend. Might post some new photos next week for better ID when I haven't worked out what they are.

I had a look at some of your ART. Very unique I have never seen anything like it before!

Keep up the good work Mate.