Paleo Club Starting Tools

hfxbenoit

I've started a Paleontology Club in school, and I could use some advice on what tools my students could start with when I take them to a collecting site.

Edited by hfxbenoit

"Life will find a way"-Ian Malcolm

HERE. :)

You will find numerous topics that offer the advice you need.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

what kind of outcrops/sites will you be taking them to?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I plan on taking them to road cuts, old quarries, dredge pile, etc. That's what's most common in my state, although I do know of a sifting site in the Pocono Mountains.

masonry hammers with chisel points, some cold chisels if you plan to split shale. Safety glasses, gloves, newspaper to wrap fossils, of aluminum foil if the fossils are small. Cloth grocery bags are great to carry fossils in, and tools .Small first aid kit. Cardboard boxes.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Great. Thanks for the list. Would regular hammers and flathead screwdriver work in place of masonry hammers and cold chisels?

you'll soon shatter the handles of screwdrivers with repeated whacking. plus chisel tips tend to be heat treated in a way that holds up better to the abuse than screwdrivers. if you have a harbor freight store nearby, you can find sets of 4 chisels w hand guards at $6 for the whole set. conventional hammers will work in a pinch, but you need a purpose built chisel.

remember to teach people to chisel wide around the fossil, hauling out a little extra matrix with it to minimize breakage afield. i've wrecked some good fossils by chiseling too close to the fossil.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Ok, danwoehr. Thanks for the tip. I'll look around for some cold chisels.

Most Important: Paper and Pens/Pencils! Keeping good notes is the most important thing, especially location info.

Dan is right about not using screwdrivers* as chisels since they will shatter and you end up with shards of sharp plastic. Also wood or fiberglass carpentry hammers will not hold up well when used on rocks. I once had an overzealous 9 year old send a hammer head flying right past my nose! You want rock picks or masonry hammers. The right tool doesn't just make the job easier, it makes it SAFER.

* Screwdrivers are just fine as small pry bars or for digging in loose matrix.

Thank you all for the awesome input! This info will help me keep my student safe, while having fun and learning.

i used to scoff at eye protection until i heard little limestone missiles whizzing by my head. not too bad when they catch you in the face (just a little blood), but one in the eye could be a game changer. pretty sobering. at least take some shades.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Unfortunately you need a waiver that releases you and your organization from liability in the event someone does get hurt on the trip.

It will not keep you from getting sued but it shows there was an attempt to inform of the possible hazards.

You will probably have to sign site specific waivers from the owners of any fossil sites you visit as well.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Thanks danwoehr and squali, your information is invaluable. I did plan on sending out permission slips for the trip, since fossil collecting is, in itself, somewhat hazardous.

Edited by hfxbenoit

masonry hammers are not that expensive (harbor freight) and have a built in chisel. Metal chisels are hardened steel, wood chisels and screwdrivers are not,

Edited by Herb

and whistles ! don't know how old they are but kids tend to wander off when there head is down to the ground. Makes it easier to be found.

@ Hipockets: I don't know about whistles, but I'll think about it. The site that I'm taking them to is fairly small, about 20 to 30 yards. Also, my students are in high school, but its a good suggestion. Thank you, though.

Just a quick question about using screwdrivers as chisels. will they hold up for about four hours of abuse? I don't know anywhere close by that sells cold chisels, so that's my only option.

I tried using a plastic handled screwdriver once, in a pinch, and it lasted about 10 blows and then the handle shattered in my hand. I think you might be asking for trouble it you use screwdrivers.

I tried using a plastic handled screwdriver once, in a pinch, and it lasted about 10 blows and then the handle shattered in my hand. I think you might be asking for trouble it you use screwdrivers.

Agreed. You don't want the liability issues associated with suggesting the use of screwdrivers as chisels. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just a quick question about using screwdrivers as chisels. will they hold up for about four hours of abuse? I don't know anywhere close by that sells cold chisels, so that's my only option.

A local hardware store or flea market/swap meet/tag sale would be good places to get cold chisels.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll check Tractor Supply Co. next time I head up that way.

Edited by hfxbenoit

You are getting lots of great advice here. Make sure to let us know how your outings go and what you find.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com