A Few Dinosaur Teeth From My Collection

Suchomimus

I am new to this forum and, according to my posting in the trade-section, I would like to show you in a rush some pictures representing a few of my dinosaur teeth. The pictures do not have the best quality, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing one or another specimen nevertheless. It is only a fraction of the collection, I will possibly post more pictures in the coming days.

Dromaeosauridae indet.
Departement Charante, France
Cherves-de-Cognac
Champblanc quarry
Cretaceous (Berriasian)

post-0-0-74601100-1414885382_thumb.jpg

Theropoda indet.
Departement Hèrault, France
Dinosaur beds near Mèze
Villeveyrac-Mèze Basin
Cretaceous (Campanian)

post-0-0-25087800-1414885387_thumb.jpg

Iguanodon sp.
Brook, Isle of Wight
England
Wessex Formation
Cretaceous (Barremian)

P. 1: small and isolated crown P. 2: larger tooth in matrix

post-0-0-27946400-1414885389_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-86422700-1414885399_thumb.jpg

Europasaurus holgeri
Oker (Goslar), Lower Saxony,
Germany
Langenberg quarry
Jurassic (Kimmeridgian)

post-0-0-94829400-1414885406_thumb.jpg

Archaeodontosaurus descouensi
Mahajanga, Madagascar
Ambondromamy
Isalo IIIb Formation
Jurassic (Bathonian)

post-0-0-47872600-1414885410_thumb.jpg

Suchomimus tenerensis
Gadoufaoua, Ténéré-desert, Niger
Elrhaz Formation
Cretaceous

(serrations are present, but not visible on the picture)

post-0-0-05812500-1414885415_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Great collection. I've never seen Europasaurus in private hands before. As Troodon said, I would love to see more.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I have just found the time to add further pictures, starting with two more usual specimens (I think most people who collect dinosaur teeth have or had moroccan material at some time).

Theropoda indet. (Deltadromeus agilis?)
South of Taouz, Morocco
Tegana Formation (Kem Kem)
Cretaceous (Cenomanian)
If the tooth does belong to this theropod or not, it is a nice one.

post-16844-0-67335600-1414941862_thumb.jpg

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
K'sar es Souk, Morocco
Tegana Formation (Kem Kem)
Cretaceous
Fat tooth, measuring more than 3 inches. Out of all the countless Carcharodontosaurus teeth seen on the market, this one catched my eye the most.

post-16844-0-06508800-1414941873_thumb.jpg

Sauropoda indet. (situated in a large chunk of matrix)
Bexhill, Sussex,
England
Hastings Beds, Wealden
Wadhurst Clay
Cretaceous (Valanginian)
I have also a pair of really tiny but very fine teeth from this location, unfortunately I cannot take any good pictures of them at the moment.

post-16844-0-24942200-1414941877_thumb.jpg

Theropoda indet.
Departement Meurthe-et-Moselle,
France
Saint Nicolas de Port (Region Lorraine)
Grès à avicula contorta
Triassic (Rhaetian)

post-16844-0-24918000-1414941882_thumb.jpg

Theropoda indet.
Cherves-de-Cognac
Champblanc quarry
Cretaceous (Berriasian)

post-16844-0-66041400-1414941885_thumb.jpg

Sauropoda indet. (Bothriospondylus suffossus?)
Wiltshire, England
(tooth was found near Pewsey)
Kimmeridge Clay
Jurassic

post-16844-0-94962900-1414941887_thumb.jpg

Rhabdodon priscus
Departement Bouches-du-Rhone,
France
Montagne Sainte-Victoire
at Aix-en-Provence
Cretaceous (Maastrichtian)
This site is famous for producing dinosaur eggs and is closed now. The tooth comes from an old collection and was found prior the ban on fossil hunting at this location. Again not the best picture, it was difficult to take a good one.

post-16844-0-36847400-1414941889_thumb.jpg

Finally something very unusual:
Theropoda indet. (Abelisauridae?)
Departement Hèrault, France
Dinosaur beds at the village of Cruzy
(Languedoc-Roussillon)
Cretaceous (Campanian-Maastrichtian)

post-16844-0-44926900-1414941891_thumb.jpg

Except for the Europasaurus tooth, which has a repaired break, and the mysterious sauropod tooth from Sussex (seems to be covered by a clear hardener) every specimen has neither been repaired nor restored and is all natural.
Some more pictures may follow in the next week, I hope you have enjoyed the ones already aired. For the people out there who might be interested, I would like to mention again that I have a posting in the Member Trades Bulletin Board, too.

Thanks and bye for now.

• I found this Informative 1

Fine examples all, and overall a fine example of record keeping too!

Clearly, you are a connoisseur.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Absolutely beautiful, rare and unique teeth! Not the type of teeth you see everyday. I would say most dinosaur teeth collectors will not have very many of these type teeth (European) in their collection. Thanks for posting them!

You have some great teeth there. Was just curious if most of these were purchased or did you collect some yourself. Thanks for sharing these with us and welcome to the forum.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Suchomimus, twas I that requested the pictures. Thank you! You have a fine collection and I certainly hope you can add to it through the forum. It is a great place to make connections world wide. Good luck and I hope for the best.

caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I thank the members who added a comment to this posting recently, too, and for beeing so friendly welcomed. None of the teeth in my collection are self collected, I live far from any site where dinosaur remains can be found or where the public has an access to such a quarry. The teeth were aquired from dealers, other collectors and original finders, too, and it took a long time to get these together.

Along with another picture of a very special piece goes a question I have to forum members who can help me out.

Megalosaurus bucklandii tooth on matrix-chunk and turtle-humerus

Stonesfield, Oxfordshire, England

Stonefield slate (Taynton Limestone Formation)

Jurassic (Bathonian)

post-16844-0-35805900-1415127584_thumb.jpg

As one of THE classic dinosaurs, teeth from this theropod are sought after by collectors, I think, but as all good british dinosaur fossils pretty hard to get. That should make fakes worthwhile (in this case I think about placing a non-megalosaurus tooth with similar appearance on the matrix). It is the only fossil in my collection about its authenticity I am not absolutely sure of. I got it from a person I trust, but I do not know...

Nearly all of the few Megalosaurus teeth I have seen have been larger ones and are difficult to compare with.

Color matches the fossils found there (the lighter parts are damaged enamel), but that does not mean a lot. Does anyone have confirmed teeth from this genus? I can post better pictures of the tooth later.

If I should have made this posting in the Fossil ID-section, I am sorry.

I thank the members who added a comment to this posting recently, too, and for beeing so friendly welcomed. None of the teeth in my collection are self collected, I live far from any site where dinosaur remains can be found or where the public has an access to such a quarry. The teeth were aquired from dealers, other collectors and original finders, too, and it took a long time to get these together.

Along with another picture of a very special piece goes a question I have to forum members who can help me out.

Jurassic (Bathonian)

attachicon.gifMegalosaurus.JPG

As one of THE classic dinosaurs, teeth from this theropod are sought after by collectors, I think, but as all good british dinosaur fossils pretty hard to get. That should make fakes worthwhile (in this case I think about placing a non-megalosaurus tooth with similar appearance on the matrix). It is the only fossil in my collection about its authenticity I am not absolutely sure of. I got it from a person I trust, but I do not know...

Nearly all of the few Megalosaurus teeth I have seen have been larger ones and are difficult to compare with.

Color matches the fossils found there (the lighter parts are damaged enamel), but that does not mean a lot. Does anyone have confirmed teeth from this genus? I can post better pictures of the tooth later.

I'd ask an experienced tooth collector here, like Troodon or Down Under Fossil Hunter. They don't have megalosaur teeth, but they are looking for one and have come across many misidentified ones along the way. They should have a clue.

• 3 weeks later...

Jurassic (Bathonian)

attachicon.gifMegalosaurus.JPG

G'day

Firstly, awesome collection of teeth.

You have done very well to amass such fine rare examples that many (including me) would love to have in their collections.

As for this tooth I am by no means an expert but I am happy to offer my opinion.

You are right when you say that Megalosaurus teeth are very coveted hence there is incentive for someone unscrupulous to 'fake' them for monetary gain.

From the picture it is clear that the tooth has been re-attached to the matrix and this does raise some questions, the prep work around the tooth also seems a little inconsistent.

In the last few years there have been a number of 'fake' Megalosaur teeth up for sale (some more obvious than others).

The teeth are usually worn theropod teeth often lacking enamel and with faint serrations from Madagascar, which makes it hard to confirm if it is indeed a Megalosaur as they are just not diagnostic enough.

It is because of these issues that I am yet to add one to my collection as I need to be sure when spending that kind of money.

If you can give us some more close up pictures I might be able to give you a more educated guess.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing more!

The turtle humerus also looks like a Kem Kem bone to me.

The colours of fossils from Oxfordshire that I have seen are quite similar to those found in the kem kem basin.

The matrix from this fossil looks legitimate also and I believe that in all probability it is from Oxfordshire, I do think however there is a chance that an unidentified theropod tooth has been added to it to substantially increase its value.

• 2 months later...

Suchomimus: Nice tooth collection! i hope you'll post more.

Your:

Dromaeosauridae indet.
Cherves-de-Cognac
Champblanc quarry
Cretaceous (Berriasian)

Could very likely be Pyroraptor olympius.

• 1 month later...

Suchomimus: Nice tooth collection! i hope you'll post more.

Your:

Dromaeosauridae indet.

Cherves-de-Cognac

Champblanc quarry

Cretaceous (Berriasian)

Could very likely be Pyroraptor olympius.

No, Pryroraptor is only known from the Campanian, Berriasian is millions of years older than that. Campanian is almost the end of the Cretaceous, while Berriasian marks the start of it. It is very unlikely that the species would have remained the same for 57 million years.

Very, very Nice collection Suchomimus!

No, Pryroraptor is only known from the Campanian, Berriasian is millions of years older than that. Campanian is almost the end of the Cretaceous, while Berriasian marks the start of it. It is very unlikely that the species would have remained the same for 57 million years.

Very, very Nice collection Suchomimus!

Sander:

I didn't noice that. Though I quoted it, I completely missed the Berriasian description! Duh! I appreciate the correction. Thank you.

Edited by hxmendoza