Found This An Odd Stone While Looking For Cephlapod Fossils Need Help With An Id

RockguyDave

• New Members

so im from wisconsin and i go to iowa from time to time to look for fossils or neat stones and i found this one and i am having trouble iding it heres a few pictures would apreciate some help

post-16970-0-95529300-1417409181_thumb.jpg

post-16970-0-97714900-1417409203_thumb.jpg

post-16970-0-54578900-1417409294_thumb.jpg

Fossilized buckeye???? LOL Now that I can't hunt fossils, are they ice fishing in Stoddard yet?

• New Members

well i thought it might be a moss agate and i have seen a couple guys fishing not many got warm so the ice was dicey

I would check and see if it scratches glass. If it does I would lean more toward Quartzite.

Prolly true, at least the light colored stuff. It's not agate anyway

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It looks a bit like a beat up Omar.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

They're glacial erratics from Hudson bay. Sorry I'm not at my computer or I'd post a link and some pictures. Perhaps I'll have an opportunity this evening.

Here's a little bit on Omar's. And a picture of a few of the ones I've found over the years. Obviously the specimen in question would only have a chance at being an Omar providing the area that it was found was glaciated.

post-2411-0-55506300-1417689669_thumb.jpgpost-2411-0-96421100-1417689693_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Stoddard Wisconsin is in the driftless area , hence no glaciation. however, the local river systems, in particular for Stoddard the Mississippi River, flush down many items, like Lake Superior agates from north of the driftless region.