Louisiana Fossil That Is In The News

Marjaton

Where was it found?

To me, it looks like an eroded horn coral.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, it looks like an eroded section through a coral.

Is it 'in the news'? I'd like to see the story. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree at first glance it does look like a horn. Look closer though. The "septa" run the wrong way in relation to the axis of the opening. Something seems very wrong about it to me.

I agree at first glance it does look like a horn. Look closer though. The "septa" run the wrong way in relation to the axis of the opening. Something seems very wrong about it to me.

Consider that it is a very oblique (and somewhat curved) section.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Consider that it is a very oblique (and somewhat curved) section.

Okay I think I have it. It's a wide horn with the calice facing us and only partially exposed. The axis is strait into the rock with the apex being the dark spot at the top of the fossil. Right ?

the mind sees what the mind sees. I see a horn coral transverse cross section.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Pareidolia at it's best. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

...some people may look at his rock and see it for what it is, a strange fossil from a riverbed, and in his mind, he knows that is what it is. But in his heart, Marks likes to think it is something more.

It's actually a nice story :)

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, must have been a slow news day in Clinton. Although I'm sure they have a lot of those. Like others have said, I'm pretty confident it's a horn coral. This is from the Citronelle Formation, and you can find similar fossils all over this area of Louisiana. I have an earlier post with horn corals, tabulate coral, brachiopods, bryozoans, crinoids, etc:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/39199-paleozoic-chert-gravel-fossils-from-bogue-chitto-river-washington-parish-citronelle-formation/#entry430367

I have quite a collection of these fossils. I've found many horn corals, but so far only one trilobite, a fragmentary pygidium:

post-1391-0-76106700-1418082711_thumb.jpg

Considering my fossil is more rare in this formation, maybe I can get on the news too :)

Wow, must have been a slow news day in Clinton. Although I'm sure they have a lot of those. Like others have said, I'm pretty confident it's a horn coral. This is from the Citronelle Formation, and you can find similar fossils all over this area of Louisiana. I have an earlier post with horn corals, tabulate coral, brachiopods, bryozoans, crinoids, etc:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/39199-paleozoic-chert-gravel-fossils-from-bogue-chitto-river-washington-parish-citronelle-formation/#entry430367

I have quite a collection of these fossils. I've found many horn corals, but so far only one trilobite, a fragmentary pygidium:

attachicon.gifcitronelletrilobite.jpg

Considering my fossil is more rare in this formation, maybe I can get on the news too :)

Maybe you could. If you close one eye, cover the other with the palm of your hand and look at it from exactly sixteen feet away it does look like Elvis.

The finder clearly states that he knows it's a fossil; the article is really about sense of wonder and imagination.

• I found this Informative 1

For what it's worth, I know it's a coral and I can see the "angel", which makes it kind of neat. Much better than the usual "Jesus on a piece of burnt toast" thing. I'd certainly keep it if I found it, if only as a conversation piece.

Don