Air Scribe Locator

bigjohn835

Were's the best place to get an airscribe at the best price. Not looking for junk.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Would have to agree. . . I purchased a used Chicago Pneumatic last Fall from a Dallas Paleo member. It worked okay. I contacted Bill at PaleoTools and sent it to him for reworking. . . When I got it back it went through some of the toughest limestone that I have like butter. They have great equipment and great customer service. Often if your tool isn't working, they'll try to talk you through a quick fix on the phone for no charge. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Roger

i own and operate about 10 of bills tools every day and i love them. they are not without hic-ups but they are as good as you will find. ( there is one german company that sells similar tools but they seem to have the same problems and are much more expensive plus shipping)

go with paleotools and you will be happy.

Brock

Thanks for all the replies. I'm new at this, and have been doing what little prep I have done with an electric engraver. It actually works pretty good, but now I'm ready to go air (at least once I get my new prep set up in the basement(Wife says to dirty for upstairs)). Any certain model suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm new at this, and have been doing what little prep I have done with an electric engraver. It actually works pretty good, but now I'm ready to go air (at least once I get my new prep set up in the basement(Wife says to dirty for upstairs)). Any certain model suggestions?

I bought mine off ebay. I got a Chicago Pneumatic one off there a few years back for like $95. brand new. I just looked, and now they are going for $200+

I would start with what I could afford. I have a CP-9100 which I got used along with a rotary grinder and additional stylusii for $150.00 BUT like I said it soon crapped out and Bill had to rebuild it for another $100.00. I think the tip on mine is about a 1/16" wide and seems to do quite well.

As for the mess - you are going to create some rather large messes. Unlike the engraver (which I also have used) you'll find that your air scribe not only produces chips but fine powdery dust as well. After a good session of prepping it is not unusual for me to have chips all over my prep table as well as on the floor of my shop and the dust settles everywhere (including on my safety glasses) - hell I'm probably inhaling it as well. So - your wife is correct - upstairs is too messy. I would consider the garage if you have one. If you use the basement, perhaps you could enclose a small area to contain the mess. . . . I don't know your layout but it is something to consider.

The following are some pictures of my prep space in my shop.

It is a 4'x8' table about 40" high. This view shows the working side. I put some hooks in the sides to hold my shop vac hose, my hair dryer (for drying quik set glue).

Prepworkspace-1.jpg

This view is from the opposite side. Notice my lawn tractor (the back of the seat - see the dust). . . that's what I am talking about. Most everything near this space in my shop is not aggravated by dust - but it may not be like that in your basement.

Prepworkspace-2.jpg

This view is from the front cornor. I would suggest getting some foam (see under first ammonite). It is really helpful keeping your fossil from moving around on the table as wellas you can turn the fossil by turning the foam without scratching the down side. It aslo shows the five Eopachydiscus ammonites that were in prep process.

Prepworkspace-ammonitesawaitingprep.jpg

Finally this view is from the opposite cornor from the view above. You can see my orange air hose coming in and my airscribe hangin on it's hook. (note the engraver on the table - no place to hang it yet!) Note also that - while it may just be my old eyes, an extra light source is real handy for doing the fine work. ALso my Shop Vac located strategically where I can turn it on and sort of keep the mess cleaned as I go.

Prepworkspace-toolrack.jpg

Hope these pictures give you some ideas for your space. Oh btw - I got to figure out a noise abatement item I can use to quiet my little 2 gal air compressor. With it running and the shop vac running simultaneously, the world could come to an end outdoors and I would know it<grin>. Of course that ain't too bad - cause you can't hear the wife and she avoids coming out to the shop due to the excessive noise. . . .

Roger

Just a word to the wise.....

As I was reading Rogers reply about the mess a scribe makes, you should also wear good eye protection as well. There has been many times where I forgot to put my goggles on, or thought that I would just point it away from my face, but nothing seems to keep the dust and chips away from your eyes. And ear protection too. Those suckers are loud!!

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for all the help guys. Rodger I'll just bring my stuff to your shop...................just need to get private jet.........hhhhhhhmmmmmmm. And no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I will get stuff in my eyes, so I have several pairs of safty glasses. I cant use my garage, I have it filled with motorcycles and parts. I like to build bikes in my somewhat non-existant free time.

Thanks for all the help guys. Rodger I'll just bring my stuff to your shop...................just need to get private jet.........hhhhhhhmmmmmmm. And no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I will get stuff in my eyes, so I have several pairs of safty glasses. I cant use my garage, I have it filled with motorcycles and parts. I like to build bikes in my somewhat non-existant free time.

Build the motorcycles in the basement - put the fossils in the garage. . . . just have to figure a way to get the bikes up the stairs!<grin>.

Guest solius symbiosus

From the Forum Rules: Spam is considered to be repetitive posting of the same text again and again or nonsensical posts that have no substance...

EDIT: Spammer (referred to here) deleted.

Stupid spammers. I have a door to the basement, but would be hard to get the bike around the steps. Besides, the wifey might complain about all the smoke from welding.