An Update Of A Prior Post

Jesuslover340

To renew this post:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/51901-fossil-or-not-if-fossil-what/

Here are some photos I tried to take using my phone and a microscope:

post-11650-0-06002400-1421892637_thumb.jpg

post-11650-0-25436100-1421892764_thumb.jpg

Tried to look for something similar in the few book of fossils at the library, and this struck me as similar (but better preserved). It's a species of midge, and is a photo by N. W. Shupe. I am not saying it is this exact insect, but that the orientation and general features look similar:

post-11650-0-73881100-1421892968_thumb.jpg

I've also contacted a paleontologist that has dealt with coprolites in-depth, and she did not identify it as a coprolite; rather, she pointed me to insects found at the location. So...might I ask as to the Forum's thoughts? :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Is it on a bedding plane or a fracture surface? In the photos on the other thread, it looks like a fracture surface, but I can't be sure.

If it indeed is a fracture surface, then an insect is much less likely. To my eyes, it does resemble a coprolite or fish regurgitation. Examples of both in concretions from the Pennsylvanian:

post-6808-0-75641900-1421894281_thumb.jpg

Yours even has a mineralization 'front' similar to that of a concretion.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Bedding plane? Had to look that up. I believe it is a bedding plane; we split it along the red iron oxide layer between the two gray layers.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

It looks as though this can be prepped a bit. Now that i look at it more, squint my eyes and stand upside down. It looks similar to Sigillariostrobus sp. or poorly preserved cone material from the Pennsylvanian period.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

This specimen is from the lower permian of the Wellington Formation :)

Im still sticking with some sort of conifer material. I see some pretty symmetrical shapes and even spacing throughout once you look past the gobbly guck.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Could you post pics as to your correlation?

Here are some quick pics of what i am referring to.

post-14584-0-67410200-1421943508_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-07425900-1421943526_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

This is the symmetry that im seeing. I could just be crazy though.....:o

post-14584-0-74914300-1421946396_thumb.jpgpost-14584-0-36951300-1421946405_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

I can see what you speak of. I am just wanting to be absolutely sure it isn't an insect, as this locality is quite likely to yield new species, and I want to be sure it goes to a museum if it is. Couple things to check on-could the lines of symmetry also be those of legs? What of the outline around it? I don't see that in the pictures of the conifers.

post-11650-0-96073500-1421968601_thumb.pngpost-11650-0-06712700-1421968639_thumb.png

Maybe Dinodigger (but he mostly deals with dinos) can shed some light on this. I think we both can agree whatever this is it's poorly preserved, making it very tough to ID.

~Charlie~

Perhaps. I've contacted a few people; I'll see about contacting him as well. :)

Cool. Looks a lot like a pine cone. That's my first guess. Il try to send an image of a good cone I collected a couple weeks ago. Symmetry seems right. Might not lean too far from insect just yet but I think floral.

Edited by dinodigger

New info on the site:

""The Midco lake was essentially a playa, containing algae and Conchostraca [clam shrimps]; plants did not grow near it and insect nymphs did not live in it.” (Ref 18).""

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

The plot thickens.....dunnn dunnn duuuuunnnnnn.

Im throwing in my Permian towel. :)

~Charlie~

This specimen seems an absolute conundrum! I'll post anything new if and when I get replies from the people and organizations I've contacted.

I hope so, Skye :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."