Fossils In Clay Or Concrete Mixture?

fangirl0708

Hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone could help me ID if these are actual fossils in clay or just some kind of concrete mixture for roads. We live in Crestview FL, there was a huge wash out that took out a road in our area, and I found these by the wash out.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag12/vivantphotography/Mobile%20Uploads/20150123_141847_1_zpsiytsbmg1.jpg~original

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag12/vivantphotography/Mobile%20Uploads/20150123_143912_zpsmodedt9h.jpg~original

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag12/vivantphotography/Mobile%20Uploads/20150123_143707_zpsjmgwhjsc.jpg~original

I took the liberty of posting your pics here so that others can view them without leaving the website.

I also cropped and contrasted them a bit.

post-2806-0-47412600-1422052910_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-05017900-1422052929_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-93874800-1422052943_thumb.jp

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks to me like “shellcrete” (also known as “tabby”) which was first used by 16th Century Spanish explorers and more extensively by English colonists as a cheap but only moderately resilient construction material in the 1800’s – particularly in the southeastern States down to the northern part of Florida.

It’s essentially lime, sand, water and crushed shells (principally oyster, but actually anything that came to hand). The shells (often obtained from Indian middens) were both finely crushed and roasted to produce the lime as well as being crudely broken to provide aggregate as a substitute for gravel.

It was both moulded into bricks and cast in situ between wooden shuttering planks to make entire wall sections. I can’t imagine it as suitable for road construction except as hardcore beneath a more durable surface. I wonder if something old and in disrepair was demolished and the rubble used for that purpose?

• I found this Informative 5

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Welcome to the Forum. What you have is limestone that is used in this part of Florida as road base before the asphalt is put down. The fossils are from the Eocene period somewhere in the 40 million year old range. The common name for the roundish flat objects are coin fossils, don't have the scientific name available to me at this time. Maybe someone else can help with that. Coin fossils are abundant, you can also find echinoids like the un-prepped ones below. ----Tom

post-3940-0-66788900-1422054915_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Welcome to the Forum. What you have is limestone that is used in this part of Florida as road base before the asphalt is put down. The fossils are from the Eocene period somewhere in the 40 million year old range. The common name for the roundish flat objects are coin fossils, don't have the scientific name available to me at this time. Maybe someone else can help with that. Coin fossils are abundant, you can also find echinoids like the un-prepped ones below. ----Tom

It looks awfully porous and gritty for limestone (versus your examples).

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

It looks awfully porous and gritty for limestone (versus your examples).

This limestone material is from the quarry in Alabama which includes Oligocene to Eocene layers, there is also a layer that I believe is above or below the Eocene that is a porous pink material. This layer does have some fossils in it, mainly the coin fossils. I have found echinoids in this layer that are always green in color????, echs. in the other layers are white to orange. My fossil friend and myself are possibly going to the pit, working on permission right now. Am interested in the study of the different layers and hope to find a certain ech. that has eluded me. Found a beautiful third of one, that is the same green color. I have hunted this material on road construction sites for the last 5 years always hoping to find something new----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

The 'coin fossils' could be large forams similar to Lepidocyclina mantelli. Also see a mold (steinkern) of a gastropod or two.

Roger, the scale of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

Those "coin fossils" may be Nummilites=large Foraminifera.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yes, Foraminifera from the Ocala limestone. Am in the middle of packing to move but finally found a Florida fossil publication, just couldn't remember their name. There are several large Clypeasters represented in the formation, a couple of yard fossils pictures below-----Tom

post-3940-0-77087600-1422108384_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"